Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to engrave text and designs on a curved surface

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
10207 Views, 14 Replies

How to engrave text and designs on a curved surface

Hello,

I'm making s a (sort of) trumpet to be 3D printed, and as you may know, trumpets have a curved bell that tapers out. Many manufactures will engrave/ stamp their names and logos on their horns, and since I'm making mine to be used as fanfare during a FIRST robotics competition, I want to have the teams name and symbol (can I turn a Photoshop PDF into a sketch?) on the bell. I'm using Autodesk Inventor 2017, and I made the object by making a side profile and revolving it around a central axis. One thing important to note (he he, music pun) is that the engraving can not go all the way though, as that would ruin the instrument. Can this be done?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
mdavis22569
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi ...and welcome to the forum

Yes you can put Text on a surface ...

here is an example 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-XwGr_5j1A

List of videos on Google

https://www.google.com/search?q=embossing+on+a+curve+Inventor&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj4...

I'm 3d printed text cut into and embossed out on a curve surface too.

curve.PNG

Mike

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: mdavis22569

The bell of a trumpet also flares out. Does this still apply? It's like a cylinder that tapers rapidly.

Message 4 of 15
mdavis22569

If you wrap it to face it should work ...

Can you attach the model ...

Try it first ...if you can't get it then attach a model and someone can make a screencast showing you how ....or do it for you 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

The part that flares out is like an inside out sphere, i made an arc flaring outwards and revolved that, there's no spot that's tangent to it all the way. I call it "not sure what to call it yet" because as you will see, its not really a trumpet.

Message 6 of 15
WHolzwarth

Here we go. Your first sketch was too complicated.

Engraving can be done, but is tricky. (2017 file)

WalterTrumpet.jpg

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 7 of 15
mdavis22569

Hi (Morning)

So you do it as you've shown, or the Flare as Walter (WH) has shown, but you cant do the shaft going up to the flare out ...

like I was trying to show here ...

ycgtest.PNG

this won't work 

Did we answer your question

Mike

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

Yes, you answered it. Too bad it won't work, but thanks!

Message 9 of 15
mdavis22569

I should re-phrase it ..

It could be ..but it wouldn't be easy.. like the emboss tool.  

It would have to be done how they would actually make it, in the flat, it would probably get distorted when they form it.

Another option I thought ( thought, not actually do) of was in Sheetmetal,   unfold the part and as it, but the curve would make it difficult 

I was trying to run different scenario's of how it would be make over and over ..and then putting it into Inventor and nothing, the distorting kept coming into play.

If we did answer, can you pick one as a solution, so others know the outcome if they are looking for something similar 

Mike

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 10 of 15
WHolzwarth

Well, not perfect is this one. But it seems good enough for 3D printing

Trumpet V2.jpg

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Nice, Second robotics. So if I want it on the bell likee that, I'll have to do each letter separatly... ugh. I'ts actualy printing no, with the engraving on the easier part. I'll give it a go myself and print it where I orgignaly wanted it when I finsih troubleshooting with the original.

Message 12 of 15
WHolzwarth

WolfoftheMarrow schrieb:

... So if I want it on the bell like that, I'll have to do each letter separately... ugh.

There's no need for letters done separately. The whole text was made in a single step, but needs to be adapted to the shape of the trumpet.

Move EOP up and back down step by step, and you can see.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: WHolzwarth

I guess I'm still just getting my feet wet, I can hardly see how you did that. How did you make sketch 6? That seems to be the most important part that I don't get.

Message 14 of 15
WHolzwarth

Well, best plane for starting a sketch for the text is a tangent plane at the conical surface.

After that engraving the text to a separate body, 2 bends, another split body and rotate it, combine again, delete unnecessary faces, and a boolean cut at the end.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 15 of 15
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymous

On another note - I made a few changes - see attached ipt file. (edit Sketch1)

First Robotics.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report