Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a "bulging" pattern?

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
nikkwong0
2902 Views, 24 Replies

How to create a "bulging" pattern?

Hi guys, please see the attached file.

I cannot figure out how to create a diamond pattern like so which "bulges" out in the middle.

Can someone please offer me some advice?

Thank you. 

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
jhackney1972
in reply to: nikkwong0

First, you will have to build the domed part.  I did not see a radius for the dome, I just made one up.  Create a domed surface, then extrude to it.  See attachment 1 and 2.  Then you can create a sketch on a plane above it, and create a 3D sketch and project to the surface.  I did not sketch the complete pattern,  just enough to give the idea, see attachment 3.  Part is attached in another answer, only have three attachment per answer.  I did not calculate the arc cutout because it depends on an accurate pattern layout.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 25
jhackney1972

Here is the file.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Message 4 of 25
nikkwong0
in reply to: jhackney1972

You are a genius! Thank you sir! 

Message 5 of 25
nikkwong0

Hey there,

I'm kind of confused.

In the file I attached the faces are 'faceted'. I think the technique you provided will just place the lines on the dome but in a non faceted manner. How to actually make them faceted? 

Message 6 of 25
jhackney1972

I did not take the time to sketch the sketch lines in the other direction, they would be done the same way to make the pattern you show.  If you want to continue modeling after that, each 3D sketch could be used to sweep a feature, positive or negative, to the surface.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 7 of 25
johnsonshiue

Hi! The bite-off cookie shape should not be difficult. The tricky part here is the cut pattern. There are many ways to do that. Attached is one of the ways that use possible the least amount of features. I have to say this case looks like a school assignment to me. If it is, please consult with your teacher and your teammate first.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 25
WHolzwarth

I'm struggling with something like this, but I'm having problems with stability.

Perhaps I'll come back later.

Diamond pattern.jpg

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 9 of 25
WHolzwarth
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Now going on. Most of the task is done from my side.

Smiley Tongue But Autodesk should inspect, why Boolean combine of the remaining bodies is not possible.

2018 IPT attached.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 10 of 25
WHolzwarth

Sometimes dumb solids are more intelligent than parametric ones.

Here stepping out and back in solved the issue.

Diamond pattern - Complete.jpg

But filleting the zigzags at the outer diameter seems like  a challenge

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 11 of 25
johnsonshiue

Hi Walter,

I suspect it is a near-tangency issue in Boolean. I agree with you that it should work. I am able to simplify the files so it is easier to reproduce. I will work with the project team to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 25
S_May
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Message 13 of 25
S_May

Ich hab mit dem Modell so meine Probleme, denn die Anordnung solch einer Struktur in zwei gekrümmnden Acshen würde an den Polen zu einem "null" Punkt führen.

Das heist um es auf das Modell zu übertragen müsste man jede Raute+Erhebung einzeln darstellen. Einfach trennen (wie ich es gemacht habe) ist falsch.

Eine Anordnung kann es nur am Äquator geben, und nach N und S jeweils versetz um den Breitenkreis.

kelly.young has Translated With Google Translate:

I have my problems with the model, because the arrangement of such a structure in two curved Acshen would lead to a "zero" point at the poles. That is to transfer it to the model one would have to represent each lozenge + elevation individually. Just disconnecting (as I did) is wrong. An arrangement can only exist at the equator, and after N and S each offset by the latitude.

Message 14 of 25
S_May

noch schlimmer, es hat zwei Pole:

2017-12-18 21_43_06-Autodesk Inventor Professional 2018.png

Message 15 of 25
WHolzwarth
in reply to: S_May

Surely there are two poles for tasks like this, Sascha. It's normal. Look at Mother Earth. But the main axis for the poles can be placed everywhere on the sphere.

Smiley Happy IMO my solution is hard for being improved.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 16 of 25
nikkwong0

Thank you so much everyone! For reference, it's not for a school project, it's for my company (www.getfractals.com). 

Thrilled to have so many bright minds helping me where I failed. Will take another stab at it tonight and post the results! 

Message 17 of 25
S_May

sorry I have prescribed myself, it should mean there are 4 poles Smiley Sad

Message 18 of 25
nikkwong0
in reply to: S_May

This is great! But I'm so confused as to how this shape was made (selected in white)—it just shows up as "solid"—any clues here? I usually see complicated shapes like this created through steps instead of just one "solid" which I can't really inspect!

Thanks so much.

Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 11.38.43 PM.png

Reminds me of — 893e8bd950a37ea82729588ef543033e--drawing-stuff-drawing-board.jpg

Hahaha. Sorry couldn't help myself. 🙂 

Message 19 of 25
nikkwong0

Just saw the original attachment from wh—thank you. I'd like to send you a tip, if you have Paypal, please DM it to me—I didn't know this would be so much work—surprised there's not an easier way—very much appreciated!

Message 20 of 25
kelly.young

@nikkwong0 There are plenty of good ideas on how to go about drawing this, thought about it and it is indeed troublesome where the "poles" are located. If it isn't exact there is a tiny bit of overlap where they meet and not a seamless transition.

I went about doing this the same way I would do a cylinder knurl with sweep but had to setup for a spherical surface.

Check out the attached file and also turn on the iLogic browser, it should allow you to change size settings (small increments so it doesn't break dimensions).

Diamond3.png

I am still thinking of a way to make it knurled all around without breaking into triangles. Teaser: was making fancy ornaments for tomorrow's Friday Pictures.

Ornament.png

Hope that helps!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report