Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How fast is your Inventor PC really?

2,218 REPLIES 2,218
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2,219
Raider_71
144550 Views, 2218 Replies

How fast is your Inventor PC really?

Hi guys,

We have had to do some testing on a bunch of Inventor PC's recently to determine which of the PC's needs to be replaced. Obviously we needed to find out which of the PC's are the worst eprformers as there was only budget to replace 50% of the design PC's. So we thought the Darwin theory will come in handy right... 🙂

Anyways I started searching on the net for toppics on how to benchmark an Inventor PC. Then I thought whats the point of using gaming benchmark tools because Inventor is not a game and there are more aspects than just graphics performance when it comes to percieved performance on an Inventor PC right.

So we decided to create our own Inventor benchmark tool which tests various aspects of an Inventor PC to give us an overview of our PC's performance. This then helped us make a decision as to whcih pc's to replace.

We have made the tool available free of charge to anyone interested in checking how their PC stacks up to their peers or friends. 🙂

Please download it here and post your results here as well if you want. Would be interesting to see what beast workstations are out there.

I would like to say thanks to Kirk #karthur1, for helping in testing the app.

Please feel free to send any suggestions our way. There is an email link in the app.

Download and Install

The application will work with Inventor 2014 to 2016 only.

IMPORTANT: After installation there will be an Inventor Bench icon on your desktop that looks like this: 32x32.png

My resluts:

HP Elitebook 8560w with an SSD upgrade.

Inventor Bench.jpg

2,218 REPLIES 2,218
Message 1821 of 2,219
bwatson1967
in reply to: leowarren34

Correct but why is it listing it first. Not that I'm complaining about the score was just curious if that was hindering the score.

Message 1822 of 2,219
leowarren34
in reply to: phlyx

@phlyx I've just noticed your Intel XTU score. 100c is scorching hot and a 9700k normally should turbo up to 4.9GHz,

where as you are only hitting 4.1GHz.

What are cooling that processor with?

At 100c your processor will hit tjunction causing it to thermal throttle. Look at a bigger cooler.

Water cooling isn't needed but a beefy heatsink maybe a good resolution.

Leo Warren
Autodesk Student Ambassador Diamond
Please accept as solution and give likes if applicable.
Message 1823 of 2,219
leowarren34
in reply to: bwatson1967

It shouldn't unless you are writing to it.

Check disk management (win + r, diskmgmt.msc) and see what order the discs are in.

Leo Warren
Message 1824 of 2,219
bwatson1967

Where do you see that at because my temps say running at around 61-62 C
Message 1825 of 2,219
leowarren34

@bwatson1967 On Phlyx's temps?

Their max XTU temp was 100c

Leo Warren
Message 1826 of 2,219
bwatson1967

Temp.jpg

Message 1827 of 2,219
bwatson1967

@leowarren34  Sorry I see

Message 1828 of 2,219
leowarren34

What are you cooling your CPU with?

My concern was with Phylx is that the XTU benchmark is not a sustained or 'burn in' benchmark which means the processor shouldn't get that hot.

Leo Warren
Message 1829 of 2,219
bwatson1967

No he is using the same as me I think and I just posted my temps. It was not XTU but still a reading.
Message 1830 of 2,219
leowarren34

@bwatson1967 What cooler is on your processor?

Your 55c is the same as mine at idle.

Leo Warren
Message 1831 of 2,219
bwatson1967

this is a laptop with just a cooling pad.

Message 1832 of 2,219
leowarren34

If Phylx is also on a laptop with just a cooling pad then that would explain. 9700k is a desktop class processor rather than a mobile class processor, mobile class processors tend to run a bit cooler due to limited cooling capacity (also slightly slower so less heat). 

Leo Warren
Message 1833 of 2,219
mluterman

That's a really good score; yeah, I noticed that IV Bench doesn't always report the correct OS drive (Neil probably knows more about that than me).  But if you do have any external drives, memory cards, etc. plugged in, it would interesting to see you redo this test with everything unplugged (except the OS drive-LOL).

Message 1834 of 2,219
bwatson1967
in reply to: mluterman

I do not have any other drives plugged in. Its a pretty consistent score every time. Just ordered a MSI desktop with liquid cooling that has all the same components and it dont score that high.

Message 1835 of 2,219
mluterman
in reply to: tgregory3G7FA

It's only recent that Nvme's became close in price to SSD's of the same capacity.  Of course I would always buy the Nvme with those prices being the same (because they're never slower).  Is it faster?  In benchmarks, absolutely, in real-world performance, absolutely not, especially by any appreciable/noticeable amount (for most uses; CAD work, Office programs, browsing the Internet).  I have both, I use Userbenchmark.exe (google it) to test my PC's for general use and IV Bench for CAD benchmarking.  I can see a proportional increase from my i7-8700k (work) to my i7-6700k (home) and apply that ratio to my IV Benchmarks to see if they increase by a similar proportion (they always do).  If you really want to go fast (faster than any Nvme can hope to be), you can dump your Windows appdata folder to a ramdrive and set up some symbolic links to it; you will BLOW AWAY all Nvme drives.  I used to do this, but the image file took too long to save back to the drive upon shutdown and the appdata folder was not getting properly updated (too dynamic), so I stopped doing it (proceed at your own risk).

Message 1836 of 2,219
RNDinov8r

Phlyx is running a workstation. Identical to mine in everyway save login and desktop wall paper. My Machine will consistently benchmark about 1 to 2 points higher than his. Here's the last bench mark I pulled on my machine. Save time sucks as well.

Phlyx's Co-Workers BenchmarkPhlyx's Co-Workers Benchmark

Message 1837 of 2,219
leowarren34
in reply to: RNDinov8r

@RNDinov8r What is the max temp of your WS?

If you can try running an XTU benchmark as that gave us a max temp of 100c on Phylx which is awfully hot.

Where is your computer located? (Is the airflow restricted?)

Leo Warren
Message 1838 of 2,219
RNDinov8r

So, 

here's my result after running XTU. Mind  you I had nothing running at all when I ran this. Phlyx was running Inventor Bench...however, I will run Inventor Bench, so we have apples to apples.

Chad_XTU_BenchMark_1-30-20.png

Message 1839 of 2,219
RNDinov8r

Here's my result while running XTU during an Extensive IVBenchmark. Overall, decrease in IV performance but, Processor did well. That being said, it still doestn' explain our save times...which are insanely high.IV Benchmark while Running XTUIV Benchmark while Running XTU2nd XTU test2nd XTU test

Message 1840 of 2,219
leowarren34

@RNDinov8r That is massively better than Phylx, So I suspect cooling as you're 21c cooler and .5GHz Faster.

Leo Warren

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report