Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How fast is your Inventor PC really?

2,218 REPLIES 2,218
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2,219
Raider_71
199475 Views, 2218 Replies

How fast is your Inventor PC really?

Hi guys,

We have had to do some testing on a bunch of Inventor PC's recently to determine which of the PC's needs to be replaced. Obviously we needed to find out which of the PC's are the worst eprformers as there was only budget to replace 50% of the design PC's. So we thought the Darwin theory will come in handy right... 🙂

Anyways I started searching on the net for toppics on how to benchmark an Inventor PC. Then I thought whats the point of using gaming benchmark tools because Inventor is not a game and there are more aspects than just graphics performance when it comes to percieved performance on an Inventor PC right.

So we decided to create our own Inventor benchmark tool which tests various aspects of an Inventor PC to give us an overview of our PC's performance. This then helped us make a decision as to whcih pc's to replace.

We have made the tool available free of charge to anyone interested in checking how their PC stacks up to their peers or friends. 🙂

Please download it here and post your results here as well if you want. Would be interesting to see what beast workstations are out there.

I would like to say thanks to Kirk #karthur1, for helping in testing the app.

Please feel free to send any suggestions our way. There is an email link in the app.

Download and Install

The application will work with Inventor 2014 to 2016 only.

IMPORTANT: After installation there will be an Inventor Bench icon on your desktop that looks like this: 32x32.png

My resluts:

HP Elitebook 8560w with an SSD upgrade.

Inventor Bench.jpg

2,218 REPLIES 2,218
Message 1681 of 2,219
leowarren34
in reply to: Neil_Cross

Nice, do we have a leaderboard for this thread?

Leo Warren
Autodesk Student Ambassador Diamond
Please accept as solution and give likes if applicable.
Message 1682 of 2,219
pball
in reply to: leowarren34

Nothing official but I've kind of been keeping a list personally. It's a bit out of date though.

fastest.PNG

Message 1683 of 2,219
Anonymous
in reply to: pball

inv bench.JPG

Check out this dinosaur.... HPZ600 workstation.

I remember calling into Autodesk a while back to ask a technical question about something and the guy on the other line remoted into my computer, looked at the specs, and was astonished at how we were even still using these computers.

Can we get a bench of who can get the lowest score?

Message 1684 of 2,219
pball
in reply to: Anonymous

I just happened to add a few low scores to my spreadsheet also. You've been "beat" by a few different pcs before.

0.38 Score 

1.62 Score 

2.77 Score 

Message 1685 of 2,219
machiel.veldkamp

Hey so... does anyone have the download link handy? The openingspost does contain a link but its not working anymore.

I realised that I haven't benched my home PC yet.

Edit: never mind, it's in the Autodesk Store:

https://apps.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=3667345248776204460&appLang=en&os=Win32_64&auto...

At 1920x1080

image.png

At 2560x1440

image.png

At 2560x1440 with Perfimage.pngormance mode.

Note my Cdrive  is an SSD but I have multiple drives so the bench doesn't see itright.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Graphics test. 19 minutes. lol.

Message 1687 of 2,219
leowarren34

Jeez, a 0.38 is so low, what config was that?

Leo Warren
Message 1688 of 2,219
Anonymous
in reply to: Raider_71

New to forum, I use Inventer for work and decided to get in on home PC I just built. Not sure how the scoring system works but looking at other posts it seems ok. Anyone else having trouble with stutters or hitching when modeling? it occurring when using a 3d mouse to rotate model.

Specs:

MB: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

CPU: Ryzen 3600, with PBO enabled

Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Black edition

Ram: 16gb Corsair LPX 3000mhz

GPU: Founders Nvidia RTX 2070 super

HDD1: SATA 1tb Samsung 8 860 SSD

HDD2: SATA 500gb WD blue SSD

PSU: Corsair RM750 80+Gold

Case: Coolermaster Mastercase H500 with mesh front panel

ResultsResults

Message 1689 of 2,219
mluterman

Well, since there's a leader board now, see below.  Still OC'd / environment variables and Inventor Undo file point to RAMdrive.

highest inventor score.jpg

Message 1690 of 2,219
leowarren34
in reply to: mluterman

Very good score, 3rd place for now, I'll be interested in seeing whether AMD can make a high impact.

Leo Warren
Message 1691 of 2,219
Mario-Villada

Awesome!. How big is your ram disk? Is setting up the undo file to a RAM disk a permanent setting that improves the performance or you just did it temporally to get the score?. Just wondering if I should do the same.

Message 1692 of 2,219
mluterman
in reply to: leowarren34

@leowarren34 wrote:

Very good score, 3rd place for now, I'll be interested in seeing whether AMD can make a high impact.

Thanks.  I personally stay away from AMD because of their lack of driver support out there.

Message 1693 of 2,219
mluterman
in reply to: Mario-Villada

@Mario-Villada wrote:

Awesome!. How big is your ram disk? Is setting up the undo file to a RAM disk a permanent setting that improves the performance or you just did it temporally to get the score?. Just wondering if I should do the same.

Thanks!  RAMdisk is 11GB (but I also use it for Internet cache and other things).  Yes, my undo file is permanently in RAM because Inventor mirrors your every move (so to speak).  I also completely disabled all page/swap files even though Autodesk recommends using a system-managed pagefile (that was never faster; at least set MIN & MAX equal if you do that).  BTW-all RAMdrives are not equally-fast; I've tested a number of them.  The best/fastest free one I found is from Qiling Disk Master (I also have all environment variables in RAM which is a one-click option in that utility).   And oh yeah, keep Windows updated also...

Message 1694 of 2,219
gunter.stachon

How About HyperThreading?

We deactivated it... Autodesk recommends it... 

any opinions? 

Message 1695 of 2,219

I haven't had any issues with Hyperthreading enabled...

Do we have any data on this?

Leo Warren
Message 1696 of 2,219
mluterman
in reply to: gunter.stachon

@gunter.stachon wrote:

How About HyperThreading?

We deactivated it... Autodesk recommends it... 

any opinions? 

Never gave it much thought, but I just disabled it and my "rig" was ...0.60 slower in the Inventor Bench app (so I'll keep it on).  And I also wonder how they they are the authority on that when their own website is slow af.

Message 1697 of 2,219
Neil_Cross

Disabling Hyperthreading isn't relevant advice any more, that recommendation was conceived during a time when PCs where still dual core and therefore core availability was at a premium.  Now with 6, 8, 12+ core CPUs being pretty normal now, disabling hyperthreading isn't going to make any noticeable difference to anything. 

It's old advice which needs to really be archived and taken off all the literature.  It's even still being baked into the Application Performance Profiles that you get bundled in with a new HP, Dell, Lenovo etc and marketed as turbo charging your experience or some such nonsense, purely off the back of this old literature being taken as gospel.  Basically if you look up what Hyperthreading/SMT actually is, apply that to the number of cores that modern systems have now, it's impossible to draw the conclusion that disabling it will make anything go faster.  In fact day to day, disabling it is going to lose you time across the board with other things that you do. 

There's possible reasons and arguments to both keep the advice there and take it off, but going over all of that would be a long story.

Message 1698 of 2,219
brotherkennyh
in reply to: Neil_Cross

A leader board you say....

Suddenly feel myself getting far more competitive!

Message 1699 of 2,219

How bad is IPI 1-9,25 ?

#askingforafriend 🙂

Message 1700 of 2,219
Neil_Cross
in reply to: gunter.stachon

@gunter.stachon wrote:

How bad is IPI 1-9,25 ?

#askingforafriend 🙂

Depends really.  Overall in context to everything else, it's about average.  If you spent £400-500 on the system it's a great score, if you spent £3000-4000 it's pretty terrible.  The best ever scores are around 13-15.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report