Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How fast is your Inventor PC really?

2,218 REPLIES 2,218
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2,219
Raider_71
199488 Views, 2218 Replies

How fast is your Inventor PC really?

Hi guys,

We have had to do some testing on a bunch of Inventor PC's recently to determine which of the PC's needs to be replaced. Obviously we needed to find out which of the PC's are the worst eprformers as there was only budget to replace 50% of the design PC's. So we thought the Darwin theory will come in handy right... 🙂

Anyways I started searching on the net for toppics on how to benchmark an Inventor PC. Then I thought whats the point of using gaming benchmark tools because Inventor is not a game and there are more aspects than just graphics performance when it comes to percieved performance on an Inventor PC right.

So we decided to create our own Inventor benchmark tool which tests various aspects of an Inventor PC to give us an overview of our PC's performance. This then helped us make a decision as to whcih pc's to replace.

We have made the tool available free of charge to anyone interested in checking how their PC stacks up to their peers or friends. 🙂

Please download it here and post your results here as well if you want. Would be interesting to see what beast workstations are out there.

I would like to say thanks to Kirk #karthur1, for helping in testing the app.

Please feel free to send any suggestions our way. There is an email link in the app.

Download and Install

The application will work with Inventor 2014 to 2016 only.

IMPORTANT: After installation there will be an Inventor Bench icon on your desktop that looks like this: 32x32.png

My resluts:

HP Elitebook 8560w with an SSD upgrade.

Inventor Bench.jpg

2,218 REPLIES 2,218
Message 361 of 2,219
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

how are you overclocking this? Through BIOS or an MSI Utility?

Message 362 of 2,219
Anonymous

I'm not sure.  I had it done when they built the system.  Is there a way to check?

Message 363 of 2,219
mmaes

You can download core temp and see what your cpu speed is set to

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Message 364 of 2,219
Raider_71

Hi @Anonymous @Anonymous

Firstly the order in which the drives are detected are not the order in your file explorer. A drive connected to SATA port 3 could be your C drive and so on. Unfortunitaly the order InventorBench displays it is not the best but just for information purposes. We will look at improving on that down the line.

The drive test is based on Inventor saving that file it has modeled up during the Modeling test. The file is saved in your "My Documents" folder. That is hard coded at this point so on whichever drive your "My Documents" folder is situated will be the drive being tested.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

Message 365 of 2,219
mmaes
in reply to: Raider_71

@Raider_71 This makes sense but there must be some other variable when testing the HDD.  As I stated earlier when I initially built my PC and only had it running from home on a fresh inventor install (offline, off my work place's server/domain) my HDD tests were consistently in low 5 second range, once setting up inventor with vault and our server my HDD tests are consistently in the mid 7's.

All that said, it's just an observation...it's still plenty fast enough BUT maybe there are settings that can be changed to make it faster. (I know we have Design Data, Templates, and Content Center on our server)

Message 366 of 2,219
Anonymous
in reply to: mmaes

I have you tried exporting your current settings, resetting to default and running again?

Message 367 of 2,219
mmaes

@Anonymous I did and it brought my HHD test speed down to about 6.5...still not as good as my first several tests at home but better.

I also loaded the application options from another computer here at work and the results were much worse.

My application options (on top) vs coworker's application options

Default.png

Inf App options.png

Message 368 of 2,219
Raider_71

Hi @mmaes

Ok, you sort of answered your own question. What settings can you make to get your Inventor performing faster again? …take it off your work network and point Inventor to your local drive for Design Data, Templates, and Content Center files. Smiley Happy

Remember this tool is to test your Inventor's performance, on your PC's current setup, in a real-world scenario. It is supposed to highlight issues like we have seen with some of the results and that's great because that gives us the info to make better decisions as we can compare it with our peer's results.

So yes, with some of the shared resources located on a server drive, your Inventor will have slower performance but that's sort of expected. At the end of the day the result you get (IPI) is an indication of how well Inventor runs with the current configuration.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Message 369 of 2,219
Neil_Cross

My testing has also shown that the HDD scores aren't an exclusive reflection on the type of HDD that you have.  I recently tested a Precision workstation with a PCIe SSD with a real world tested read speed of 2.5GB/s and write of 1.5GB/s, but the save time in the Inventor Bench tool was over double the time it took to save the file on my home PC SSD which has a real world tested read speed of 550MB/s and write of around 500MB/s.  My SSD saved the file under 6 seconds, the drive which can write data 3 times faster took double the time to save the file.

I haven't researched yet what would be causing this but you could look towards the CPU being required to complete the calculations of a save operation, then as mentioned above all the network based resources could be a factor.  

@Anonymous If the stress test is showing the CPU peaking at 4.2GHz then your system builder hasn't overclocked it, 4.2GHz is the stock overclock/turbo on the CPU.  If you can figure out the MSI software and get it to OC up to your desired level, you should be up there at 11-12 point scores.  

Message 370 of 2,219
Anonymous

Sorry I was unable to respond earlier, but just like @Neil_Cross just said, use the OC software from MSI.  MSI has a utility called Command Center.  That link should take your to the Support page of you motherboard, which looks pretty sweet, BTW.

You can download that and install, and it will report back the settings of the processor & memory.  Good way to double check

Message 371 of 2,219
Neil_Cross

I love this thread, it's nerd heaven.

I've got a nerdy project planned for the next couple of weeks once I get home from Oz.  I'm gonna buy the parts to build a PC as cheap as possible, possibly around the £400 / $400 price point, and see if I can beat the score/outperform a £5500 proper workstation.  I've genuinely got no idea if it'll actually work out but I've got the parts picked ready to order.

I'm never expecting this to out perform the likes of my own desktop or the other guys with Skylakes, it's more of a thing for my YouTube channel to show how you can spend next to nothing and still be alright, as long as you pick the right parts across the whole system.

Message 372 of 2,219

Well I'll be watching.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

So how should I go about overclocking in the command center?  I haven't messed with overclocking before.  I'd like to get it running faster but don't want to overstress the hardware.

Message 374 of 2,219
Anonymous

sorry @Anonymous, I have mislead you.  You CAN use the Command Center to overclock, but I was thinking of the wrong program.  In the link I provided in an earlier post, about half way down the page, there's an Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.  Please download and install that.

Then, go to the Advanced Tuning section, and you'll be looking for the Core.  Then, you can adjust the multipliers as shown below:

intel.PNG

You can slowly up the multiplier to get the desired speed.

Please note, this is basic overclocking with software.  Some like it, others will go through the BIOS.  

Have you researched overclocking?  If not, I suggest reading up on a few sites to get a basic grasp.  I will help as much as I can.  

Disclaimer:  Info only, please do this at your own risk.  I feel I need to add this.

Message 375 of 2,219
Anonymous

So did some overclocking research.  I'm going through the Bios to overclock.  Set the cpu core multiplier for 46(4.6GHz) and I'm in the middle of a stress test at 1.35V.  Everything I read has said to try and keep your core temps 80deg Cel or less under stress testing.  Right now I am hitting 80 deg but havent went over.  Are there any other settings I should be adjusting like with the Ram?  I have noticed quite a bit of mouse/keyboard lag.  Like when I'm typing stuff in on any program or trying to drag windows around.  Its like the mouse button lets go even if I didn't and sometimes jumps ahead/behind while scrolling.  Not sure what that is all about.  It was acting funny before messing with the overclocking.  The programs I have been using are CPU-Z, CPUID HWMonitor, Prime95 and RealBench.

Message 376 of 2,219
Anonymous

Sounds like you may need to update the USB drivers from MSI if any are available.

I haven't messed with any RAM overclocking.  I don't believe the sticks I have are made for overclocking so I didn't look into it, as of yet.

You look good on the programs though.  I was able to overclock to 4.8 last night, and I plan to stress it tonight.  Let me know how it goes...

Message 377 of 2,219
Anonymous

Crashed at 4.6GHz with a voltage 1.36 hitting temps at 81deg.  Any suggestions?  If I push the voltage up higher to try and eliminate it crashing my temps will keep going up and I don't think I want them much higher.  Not sure if there are other settings to adjust other than the core voltage to help this out.

Message 378 of 2,219
Anonymous

This is from memory, but did the program you used to stress it run through passes?  If so, how many passes did it make it through?

Message 379 of 2,219
mmaes

@Anonymous What heatsink are you using?

Message 380 of 2,219
mmaes

Also is there no auto tuning software for your mobo?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report