Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How fast is your Inventor PC really?

2,218 REPLIES 2,218
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2,219
Raider_71
173756 Views, 2218 Replies

How fast is your Inventor PC really?

Hi guys,

We have had to do some testing on a bunch of Inventor PC's recently to determine which of the PC's needs to be replaced. Obviously we needed to find out which of the PC's are the worst eprformers as there was only budget to replace 50% of the design PC's. So we thought the Darwin theory will come in handy right... 🙂

Anyways I started searching on the net for toppics on how to benchmark an Inventor PC. Then I thought whats the point of using gaming benchmark tools because Inventor is not a game and there are more aspects than just graphics performance when it comes to percieved performance on an Inventor PC right.

So we decided to create our own Inventor benchmark tool which tests various aspects of an Inventor PC to give us an overview of our PC's performance. This then helped us make a decision as to whcih pc's to replace.

We have made the tool available free of charge to anyone interested in checking how their PC stacks up to their peers or friends. 🙂

Please download it here and post your results here as well if you want. Would be interesting to see what beast workstations are out there.

I would like to say thanks to Kirk #karthur1, for helping in testing the app.

Please feel free to send any suggestions our way. There is an email link in the app.

Download and Install

The application will work with Inventor 2014 to 2016 only.

IMPORTANT: After installation there will be an Inventor Bench icon on your desktop that looks like this: 32x32.png

My resluts:

HP Elitebook 8560w with an SSD upgrade.

Inventor Bench.jpg

2,218 REPLIES 2,218
Message 621 of 2,219
Neil_Cross
in reply to: mattBA

It's notoriously unstable, the 220W TDP is ridiculous and therefore you need a proper high end liquid cooler to run that thing anything close to stable.

It probably would be quite fast for Inventor however the GHz value doesn't really mean it's equal with Intel speeds, the Intel chips use totally different architecture and have different technologies built in.  The difference in end result speed might be minimal but the reported reliability issues of this thing makes it something I would personally stay away from.

AMD are working on the new Zen generation of CPU's which will obsolete all of these FX nightmares.

Message 622 of 2,219

@Anonymous

Is the 6700 the fastest CPU at the moment?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

It's the one which has logged the best score in this test so far yes.  This test needs (and @Raider_71 is aware) a bigger scope of testing with larger datasets to really pass proper judgement on hardware, the problem is trying to find suitable datasets to use (customer IP issues and issues with distributing large datasets in the installer).  This test is genius and really does filter out the crap, but it needs to evolve into handling large models and bulk transactions.

Regarding the 6700K, for a while it was the latest CPU in the range but recently Intel released their Broadwell-E chips.  The most powerful at the moment being the 6950X but at around $1800 I don't suppose many people will be buying one.

They also recently released the 6800K, 6850K and the 6900K.  All of which are superior to the 6700K but the clock speeds are slightly lower, however overclocking potential could be higher with more cores.  

Message 624 of 2,219

I would totally be OK with something that shares my PC's Specs and upload it to the Benchmark dude to monitor the users' PC's and make a fair comparisson. 

Is something like that do-able? Maybe Autodesk can help with this? Surely Autodesk knows how all this works. 

They must be aware of the fact that users are struggling to find a decent setup. 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

@Neil_Cross   how do I know what's a good score ...

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 626 of 2,219
Neil_Cross
in reply to: mdavis22569

@mdavis22569 In this test?

I knocked up a rough chart a few pages back but off memory, a score of less than 7 is pretty bad with the worst being 4-5.

7-9 is pretty good, this is the score that most Xeon & Quadro/FirePro workstations are pulling.

9+ and that's when you've got some pretty solid hardware.  The highest score so far being 12.5 or there abouts.

Message 627 of 2,219
mdavis22569
in reply to: Neil_Cross

where is the final score?

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 628 of 2,219
Neil_Cross

@mdavis22569 The Inventor Bench tool gives you a massive big IPI score at the bottom right when its finished doing its test... it doesn't send the results anywhere, you just get it on screen...

Message 629 of 2,219
mdavis22569

perfect ..ty

I did it..but I'm having a hard time getting my SSD to register ...

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 630 of 2,219
mdavis22569

so 1-5.84 something is bad?

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 631 of 2,219
Neil_Cross

@mdavis22569 wrote:

so 1-5.84 something is bad?

Don't worry about the SSD not registering, it's the way the tool reports on the drives, it does it by SATA port order and if your SSD isn't in the first SATA port on the motherboard it doesn't report it but that has no impact on the test score.

And yea 5.84 is pretty poor.  Can you post a screen print of the test results to this forum? 

Message 632 of 2,219
mdavis22569

which is odd .... with a 6700 

Thinking it's my old video card 

Capture 2.PNG

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 633 of 2,219
Neil_Cross

Holy hell, that video card needs to be retired to a museum!

Just for perspective, that 9500 GT has 32 on board CUDA cores which are a massive contributor to the performance of the all things video and 3D.  Yours has 32, the latest "budget/entry level" GeForce card the GTX 950 has 768 CUDA cores! The brand new GTX 1080 has 2560 CUDA cores! 

Message 634 of 2,219
mdavis22569

I actually showed my wife your comments ..she said then get a new one ..

Helllllllooooo shopping 

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 635 of 2,219

Lucky guy

@machiel.veldkamp Behold! the new GTX 1070, I will overclock this one in the afternoon and let you now the outcome.

NewCad_GTX1070.PNG

Message 637 of 2,219

And here are the results for the GTX 1070 founders edition, Intel core i7 6700k overclocked to 4.7 Ghz.

NewCad_GTX1070_OC4700GHz.PNG

Message 638 of 2,219

That's great! That's runs a lot better, doesn't it?

If you bolt one end of a chain to it and the other end of the chain to a float, it still has use for mooring a boat.  Smiley Very Happy

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 640 of 2,219
Alexrose1942
in reply to: blair

Two Question.

1) I don't see any benchmark for AMD processor on this thread

2) if my inventor runs smooth but in terms of appearance there are some jogging (im on "Conservative Mode" as this work faster here) , is it a CPU or GPU issue?

Thanks 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report