Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does one trim only specific co-planar parts off a solid?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
303 Views, 6 Replies

How does one trim only specific co-planar parts off a solid?

Student using Inventor 2019 on Windows 10 here.

I tried to trim one side off this c-channel using the "Trim Solids" feature using the "Trim Solid" feature using the plane in picture 1.

However, doing this seems to trim off both sides of the c-channel (as shown in picture 2).

What I want is what's shown in picture 3; I got this result by drawing a sketch with a rectangle and using the cut feature. This method feels sloppy, and I can imagine, for more complex parts at least, not ideal. 

How can I get the same solid in picture 3 without having to draw a sloppy sketch?

I want to trim just the top side of the c-channel.I want to trim just the top side of the c-channel.Using the "Trim Solid" feature gets me this.Using the "Trim Solid" feature gets me this.This is the result I want, but without needing to draw a sketch like this every time.This is the result I want, but without needing to draw a sketch like this every time.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: Anonymous

Split the part horizontally into 2 bodies. Trim one of the bodies. Then combine the 2 remaining bodies to one solid.

cadder

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
JDMather

Do one neat sketch and Extrude-Intersect what you want to keep.

(See Attached)

BTW - this entire part could have been modeled significantly easier technique.

Edit: Oops, I made a mistake and cut off the fillet. Back in a minute.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 7
blandb

Remember, just cutting away the flange you will still have the radius on the back of the part. Is that what you want, or for it to be square?

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: blandb

It is fine if it's left rounded because this is how an actual cut would look on a bracket like this.

Message 6 of 7
SBix26

Another possibility-- just create a trim surface like so:

Trim Channel.png

Edit: the surface isn't actually necessary, the sketch alone can be used as the trim tool.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2019.3 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 7 of 7
johnsonshiue
in reply to: SBix26

Hi Guys,

There are indeed multiple ways to do this. Or, you can use Thicken command -> Cut to remove the unwanted portion. Thicken -> uncheck "Auto-Blend" option -> Cut -> select the face -> set distance equal or greater than Thickness.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report