Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you create an uneditable file to send proprietary information?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1705 Views, 8 Replies

How do you create an uneditable file to send proprietary information?

I'm am looking to send out a large assembly file that I would like to make uneditable.  I just want to people to be able to import the model and using the sizing/geometry of it.  I don't want them to be able to break it apart and see the assembly components etc.  How do I do this?  If I save it as a standard step file is this enough?  I've also tried to insert the assembly into a part file as a derived part but my computer freezes every time I try it.  Is the assembly is too large to do this? (350 unique parts).  I'm running an i7 2600 with 8gb of ram (should be enough power I would think) and Inventor Pro 2010.  

Tags (2)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JamesLovell
in reply to: Anonymous

Ive used 'shrinkwrap' before to do this... not sure if 2010 has this??

Regards,

James Lovell
Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz,QUADRO RTX 4000, 1TB CORSAIR MP600 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe
Product Design & Manufacturing Collection
Message 3 of 9
jtylerbc
in reply to: JamesLovell

@jameslovell4987 wrote:

Ive used 'shrinkwrap' before to do this... not sure if 2010 has this??

It does - 2010 was the release that introduced it.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: jtylerbc

What is the procedure for using the shrinkwrap/where is it located?

Thanks

Message 5 of 9
JamesLovell

on 2012....

shrinkwrap.jpg

follow the instructions... it will take a bit of playing 🙂

Regards,

James Lovell
Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz,QUADRO RTX 4000, 1TB CORSAIR MP600 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe
Product Design & Manufacturing Collection
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: JamesLovell

Thanks, it was right under my nose.  The computer still freezes up though 😞  It doesn't seem like my assembly is too large to do this.  Is there any other way?

Message 7 of 9
mflayler

Shrinkwrap can take up a lot of resources even if you consider your assembly "small".  You might try a traditional way to do this by...

Open a new Part file

Finish the Sketch

Start the Derive command

Choose your Assembly

Choose Composite type

On the last tab, there are some shrinkwrap options, maybe remove parts that are 10% less of the full size

Don't hole patch

Save out as a Step file

If you get stuck I have a paper on it that I spent some time on.  Direct Message me and Ill give it to you if you get stuck.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Just to clear things up, I got it to work.  Even though the screen went grey and Inventor said not responding I just left it for about 8-10 minutes and it worked.

Thanks again for the help

Message 9 of 9
JDMather

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Inventor-Simplification-Technology-Preview-available...

...but only works in 2013. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report