Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can we reduce the size of part files that went from a couple of MB to thens of MB without adding much more detail?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
jorge.vilhenaF6UQE
356 Views, 11 Replies

How can we reduce the size of part files that went from a couple of MB to thens of MB without adding much more detail?

Hello,

I have some part files that are getting very big and this delays a lot my work when editing a sketch, saving or check in to Vault. All operations that took some seconds, now they take minutes. This is not admissible.

I discovered that Model States increase a lot the size of files but even if we delete all of them and all the geometry the files are still big. For instance, I send a file attached with just a simple sketch where I deleted all Model States and the file still has more than 10MB. An identical file, created from scratch takes only about 80kB.

How can we solve this issue?

Best regards,
Jorge Vilhena
Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

You can try purge:

https://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2023/ENU/?guid=GUID-8CE33874-BD45-4682-91CF-C91D69394B7E

My biggest ModelState is 140MB.  Most are over 30MB.

Check in is slow because it go through each ModelState.

Message 3 of 12

Hi @jorge.vilhenaF6UQE 

There seems to be some persistent leaks in the file you attached - that's what's causing the file size bloat even after you have deleted everything.

Do you have steps to reproduce this? It would help to narrow down the root cause.

Thanks

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 4 of 12

Hi,

The purge only deletes older versions of the file.

Regards,

JVilhena

Message 5 of 12

Hi Shiva,

What do you mean by steps?

Regards,

JVilhena

Message 6 of 12

Hi @jorge.vilhenaF6UQE 

I was hoping you might be able to elaborate on how and what led to this file to be of this size? Did you start off with some fairly big part and delete several model states and on save, you ended up with still a fairly 10MB+ file size?

If so, do you have the original file and remember what you did to cause the corruption.

Thanks

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 7 of 12

Hi Shiva,

I just noticed that the time to do the check in to Vault increased substantially and I thought it was a problem with the network but today I noticed the file was much bigger than a couple of days ago. About what might have led to this, I make no idea! Regular modelling as usual. This file is a stripped version because the original did grown to about 40MB.

Unfortunately, I can't disclose the original file.

Regards,

JVilhena

Message 8 of 12

Thanks @jorge.vilhenaF6UQE 

I will ask around to see if anyone has seen any corruptions like this. I am copying @johnsonshiue to see if he has seen anything like this. Typically, it would be very hard to fix any corruption without knowing the root cause. Having said that, I will ask around internally to see if anyone knows anything.

I have created a defect (INVGEN-78095) to track it. We will try to see if we can find the root cause. In the meantime, if you run into it again, let us know if you have any steps to reproduce.

Thanks

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 9 of 12

Hi Jorge and Shiva,

This particular ipt seems to suffer from multiple corruptions. First, there are quite a few FEA related files linked to the ipt. The linkage can be severed by using Links command (Tools -> Links). That only resolve the prompting issues. The main corruption seems to be with a bunch of wire bodies. These ghosted wire bodies are probably part of the 2D or 3D sketches. They are left in the file without any association.

I have seen similar behaviors before but I am not aware of the workflow leading to such corruption. The corruption could also be a side effect of fixing the crash without plugging the corruption. Though the corruptive conditions are tolerated, the corruption is saved back to the file.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 12

Hi Johnson and Shiva,

The deleting operations should have deleted everything!

Nevertheless, if both of you could provide me an email address I can send you the original file but I can't post it here in a public forum. Actually, I have another one even bigger that inflated quickly to 155MB.

Best Regards,

JVilhena

Message 11 of 12

Hi @jorge.vilhenaF6UQE 

You can email the part to me: sundarsATautodeskDOTcom 

I can try to delete everything in that part like you did and see if it causes corruption.

Thanks

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 12 of 12

Hi @jorge.vilhenaF6UQE 

It looks like there were several sketch entities leaked. Even after deleting all visible entities in the part, those leaked entities persisted which leads us to believe that the leak is unrelated to the delete. Unfortunately, without knowing the cause of the leak it would be very hard to fix the issue. If you do come across the leak, could you please send us the steps - that would greatly help find the root cause and solve it.

In any case, we cleaned up your file and I have sent it to your email.

Let us know if we can help in any other way.

Thanks

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report