Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can we create models from a scan faster?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
304 Views, 1 Reply

How can we create models from a scan faster?

Hello,

I am the project manager for FCA Sterling heights assembly plant changeover, we had a scan performed of the plant floor and are in the progress of creating a model of the utilities for the plant changeover, it is taking forever to create the models and it is costing 10s of thousands of dollars.

At this rate it will cost more than a million to create the model as we have not even started importing the tooling and equipment yet.

My question is there a better way? We have consulted Autodesk here locally and the below is the response, is this correct??

From our meetings with Autodesk, they don’t have any specific “enhancement” they can offer off the shelf so to speak. They told us they can and do create enhanced features for many of their products, but they only do this when provided a specific scope of work to design to. Due to the NDA’s they have with their customers, they cannot even tell us if they have made a similar enhancement for someone else.

What Autodesk did note during our meeting is that the LOD (definitions below) of the models we are creating for you at SHAP are at around a LOD of 300-350. What they have provided in the past for other automotive assembly plants is a LOD 200 model. They stated the time difference to model a LOD 200 vs LOD 350 could be for 30-50% faster, but it varies plant to plant. They further described this LOD 200 model as no piping less than 2”OD, and they will set the piping recognition to a larger offset, which results in modeling more to design intent vs actual install when it comes to the bent, bowed, or flexed condition of the actual “as installed” condition.

Please let me know if there are anyway to speed up the process as I may just shut it down, the value is just not there.

Let me know

Terry

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

Welcome to the community..

My first question would be..  Are you using the Inventor Factory Design Utility?  If you are, you may want to post over in that forum and see if any of those users have created models from large scans.  They may have a solution or a faster workflow for you. 

Update:  Also you don't really need to tell us what you do or how much money this is going to cost your company.  We the users will try to support you to the best of our ability no matter who you are or what the impact is to your business.  Smiley Wink

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report