Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Recent Items Opening Wrong Files

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
sgwilliams
602 Views, 14 Replies

Home Recent Items Opening Wrong Files

For some reason my Inventor 2020 Professional is opening the wrong files when using the Home Screen Recent Items. Go to the screen cast below it will show you the issue.

It's like it uses the last few files that I had open instead of the items that I selected. Now this happens with a single item or multiple items. But if I just double click a single item it opens the correct one. So instead of being able to open them all at one time, I have to go back to the home screen and double click each item to open it....what a pain this is.  Any help on this would be great...thanks!

Work Station : Custom built, Liquid Cooled, Asus Pro WS X570-ACE Motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor; ASUS TUF Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 V2 OC Edition Video Card; 32 GB CORSAIR Dominator Platinum DDR4-2132 Memory ; Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD Drive.
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
mdavis22569
in reply to: sgwilliams

IPJ change? 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
sgwilliams
in reply to: mdavis22569

@mdavis22569 

Not sure what your asking. What does IPJ refer too?

Work Station : Custom built, Liquid Cooled, Asus Pro WS X570-ACE Motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor; ASUS TUF Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 V2 OC Edition Video Card; 32 GB CORSAIR Dominator Platinum DDR4-2132 Memory ; Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD Drive.
Message 4 of 15
mdavis22569

IPJ your Inventor Project file ... keeps everything in order / locations etc

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 15
sgwilliams

@mdavis22569 

No we have had the same Project file since 2006 as far as I know with a few slight tweaks here and there, but nothing recently. The last time it was modified was 1/17/2020 and that was too add company Appearance & Materials paths. I'm the only person authorized to change this and the vault history shows that my work space has the same version as the Vault.

Message 6 of 15
mdavis22569

No 2 files on the PC? 

What happens if you open it normally .. from the File open and not the home page.. then safe it

Does the home page update?

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 7 of 15
sgwilliams

@mdavis22569  Yes it does. If I open the file from the open file dialog then save it.  The home page link then right click>open will open it properly.

Message 8 of 15
mdavis22569

just something weird of a glitch ... ( gremlins ) 

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 9 of 15
sgwilliams

Pesky little buggers...I need sunlight or maybe throw some water on my computer. What do ya think?
Message 10 of 15
mdavis22569

Nothing after Midnight.

I've seen some of these here and there.. I've learned that I'll spend more time trying to understand why on something I'll never likely see again. 

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 11 of 15
sgwilliams

I rarely have any issues with Inventor these days, I think the bugs are mostly worked out now, at least with the features that I use regularly. I really don't have any complaints. This is just an annoyance, but I can still function. Thanks for your time mdavis22569 . I put in a ticket with Autodesk, we will see if they can solve this "gremlin" issue.

Message 12 of 15
mdavis22569

is it still re-occurring? 

I would try a new IPJ as well. See if it repeats it.

Let it be clean and new 

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 13 of 15
johnsonshiue

Hi! The behaviors look wrong to me. Do you have duplicate files (same name but in different folders) in the project folder?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 14 of 15
sgwilliams
in reply to: johnsonshiue

The part numbers I'm trying to open are MAS-3-A and the parts that are opening are MAS-2-A. The two images are screen shots of the directory structure.

prints.PNG

solid models.PNG

Message 15 of 15
sgwilliams

I worked with an Autodesk tech in a Support Case to get this resolved. We had to export all my custom ribbon settings as a backup, then tweak the registry to reset my Inventor setup. Once this was done and I imported my settings back this solved the problem. Apparently the setup file was corrupted and this caused the issue. Everything works as it should now. 

I would walk you through this but it would be better to have start a support case to solve this as each instance may differ from mine. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report