Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hem in Corner

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
3928 Views, 8 Replies

Hem in Corner

Hello everyone,

Dumb question.  How can I create a hem in a corner?  The default setup overlaps them and throws an error.  A simple "miter" will correct the problem, but I cannot figure out how to do it!  Is it possible?

Thanks,

David

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you attach the file here?  (or a representative sample that illustrates the same problem?)

Find the red End of Part marker in the browser.
(End of Folded on sheet metal parts EOF)
Drag the red EOP to the top of the browser hiding all features.

Save the file with the EOP in a rolled up state.

Right click on the file name and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the resulting *.zip file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

I was unable to use the send to compressed zip folder command.  I could not find it.  However, the part is just a rectangle, so I can send the whole thing.  I just wantn to add a 1" hem around the edges to remove the sharp edges and add a little bit of stiffness.

Message 4 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

I was expecting you to show at least one Hem feature.

I am going to show you two ways, the hard way and the easy way (see attached images).

The hard way you could expand the Hem dialog box and enter an Offset distance so that the Hem features don't intersect and then add Corner Seams to each corner.  But that is a lot of work.

The easier way is to simply sketch the Hem (I exaggerated the offset so that you can clearly see) and then do a Contoured Flange and select all four edges.  Inventor will create and autmatically miter them all in one feature.

Seems like they should add this to the Corner Seam tool.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Got it!  Thanks!

Message 6 of 9
rclement

jd

i was trying to do the hem corner like you were showing but didnt have success

maybe the second option is better in this case.if you woulnt mind maybe you have better luck

Message 7 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: rclement

@rclement 

1. This is a 7 yr old thread that has been marked Solved.

You should have started a new thread and linked to this one as reference.

2. iProperties indicates that you have not installed the Updates for 2020.

3. When posting files that are Derived Components - you should first Suppress or Break the link to the original.

4. You have an unconstrained sketch.

5. You have unnecessarily duplicated dimensions (use =).

6. Your part is not a valid sheet metal part (missing Bends and not uniform Thickness).

7. Unresolved Issues indicated in your feature tree by (I) in circle.

I can solve issues 3-7 by starting over from scratch (there were other issues that I have not enumerated), but I need to know how many sheets you want to make this out of:

One sheet?

Two sheets?

Three sheets?

Four sheets?

Five sheets?

Message 8 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! I took a quick look at the part you attached. The reason why some Sheet Metal commands are not working is because there are non-bend corners. You need to either use Corner Rip or use Bend command to convert such sharp corner to Bends. Move EOP above Hem5 and add Bends at the sharp corners. But, eventually you need to rip the part open. Otherwise, it cannot be unfolded.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 9
JDMather

My first attempt. One sheet solution - the bends could be moved around for other possible one sheet solutions.

Chute.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report