Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GROOVE WELD WITHOUT FILLET WELD AT TOP

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1186 Views, 8 Replies

GROOVE WELD WITHOUT FILLET WELD AT TOP

Someone please tell how to create a groove weld without fillet weld. As the default method creates a groove weld with fillet weld which some time not the requirement.

In this example i have a shell(cylinder) with pipe(cylinder) inserted in it. And i need to make a groove weld without fillet weld.

groove weld 1.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Attach your assembly here and end all doubt.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Please find attached files.

Its a simple assembly but the same weld type is used in other assembly also.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Whether it is possible to make groove weld without fillet weld or not.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

I had attached the files for checking the weld possibilities. Please check.

Thanks in Advance

M.L.Kuselan

Message 6 of 9
JDMather

First thing I would do is install the Service Packs and Updates.

Attached is example with only Groove Weld and example with only Fillet Weld.

If you have a lot of welds - I would use only the welding symbols rather than trying to place all of the weld beads.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Hi Thanks for the reply.

Installed the service pack and update and iam using Inventor 2017.

I checked in both the assembly (Groove Weld.iam and Fillet Weld.iam) there is still fillet weld visible in some opposite quadrant.

Is there any way to avoid this.

Regards

M.L.Kuselan

Message 8 of 9
graemev

I've run into this problem repeatedly. The issue appears to be that the radial option must be chosen for fill direction. The bevel of the weld preparation causes the fillet weld, the direction of the weld being perpendicular to the bevelled surface. Unfortunately, you can't choose which surface is used for perpendicular projection. (Though, in this case it still wouldn't be correct geometry in the model.)

The work-around is to edit the branch pipe.  Sketch the trunk pipe diameter at the appropriate location and extrude as a surface "through all" of the branch pipe.  Use the surface tool to split the branch pipe's outer surface using the new surface extrusion as the cutting tool.  You may hide the extruded surface if you choose. Returning to the assembly, the branch pipe now exhibits a "cut mark" that matches the trunk pipe's surface. When making the new weld, select the beveled hole surfaces (bevel and inner rim) as one surface group and the matching surface on the branch pipe, which is now limited to the cut mark you made previously, as the second surface group. A radial projection should now give the correct geometry.

You may need to change which group is which, as the weld projection may "invert" the weld as it generates from one group to the other. (Top rim on one side gets matched up to bottom rim of the other side of the weld in an x-patterned cross section. The fault is visible in the weld preview state.) When you see it, you'll know what I mean.

Be aware that if the trunk geometry changes, the branch will also have to be changed to suit or the weld will fail or become bizarre, assuming you're not driving the change parametrically across the assembly some other way.

I use a similar surface cutting technique for exterior pipe bevels inside slip-on flanges in order to get a correct perpendicular/radial groove weld.

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: graemev

Hi graemev,

Thanks for reply. I tried the workaround and its working fine.

M.L.Kuselan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report