Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear Mates Skipping

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
sthomasBEF9X
362 Views, 4 Replies

Gear Mates Skipping

Hello,

So I made a digital counter that has four digits. The digits are sequentially geared together at a 1:10 ratio using a motion-rotation mate such that once the first digit has fully rotated, the second digit increments by 1 and so forth. I then geared the first digit 1:1 with the handle. Finally I geared the first digit to the carriage with a 1:(1/6) motion-rotation-translation mate (due to it being a 6 TPI leadscrew). When I turn the handle slowly, the digital counter increments appropriately and the carriage raises correctly. However, if I lift the carriage with any amount of increased speed, the digital counter skips. To me this makes no sense as everything is geared together and there should be a mathematical function that links the elevation of the carriage to a specific digital count. Why does the counter skip and the mates lose track of their relationships?

I can think of another way of doing this using parameterized mates and an excel sheet.... but I was trying to avoid doing that. 

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: sthomasBEF9X

Attach assembly here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5
sthomasBEF9X
in reply to: JDMather

Attached is the DigitalCounter assembly pack and go. Please let me know if you have any difficulty opening it. Thanks!

Message 4 of 5
Fouad-l

Screencast: https://autode.sk/3nPO0nu

What i did is:

- gear all digits with the first one. The second with the first (0.1), the third with the first (0.01), the fourth with the first (0.001).

- Replace the rotational constraint between Ratchet Arm & ACME threaded rod with a fixed constraint (there is no relative movement between these two parts). 

- Use Drive Constriant to move parts in a controllable way instead of doing it mannually.

FOUAD LATRACH - MECHANICAL ENGINEER - ELCHE - SPAIN.

Please use the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or KUDOS button if my Idea helped you to solve the problem.

ASUS ROG G703 : Windows 10 Pro - Intel i7 3.4 Ghz - 64 Gb RAM - 1.5 TB SSD - Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB.

Message 5 of 5
sthomasBEF9X

Thank you for working on finding a solution and for the screencast. I will attempt your technique later this afternoon when I get a minute. I appreciate the help and will let you know how it turns out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report