Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Functional width in Bolted Connections

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
433 Views, 4 Replies

Functional width in Bolted Connections

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out how the functional width is calculated. I thought that would be equal to the distance between the lower face of the bolt and the lower face of the nut, including therefore the material in the middle and washers.

The functional width calculated from Inventor however, never corresponds when compared to the one measured on my model. It  seems in fact to include also the nut width since it changes when i select a different nut. If i include the nut width as well than the value is closer but never exact.

How exactly is it calculated?

Thanks in advance,

Jacopo.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes, I also wonder about "Joint properties - functional width " . When i input " Functional width =0 " the Calculation still export to results.
Message 3 of 5
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

... the value is closer but never exact.

When you go to the store to purchase fasteners - there is not every (perfect) length imaginable.

There are only certain lengths.

Inventor is smart enough to not give you a length that you cannot purchase off-the-shelf.

There is an arrow on the end of the fastener. If you drag it you will see that it only "pops" to certain lengths.

If you need a special custom length - you will need to model it and add to the Content Center (if desired).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks I did find out how did it work in the end.

Message 5 of 5
martin_madaj

Hello guys,

maybe I'm not smart enough - but how is the fastener length related to Functional Width? Inventor Help claims that it is Width of the connected materials used in the calculation. Image in Bolted Connection Component Generator claims that it is a distance between a bolt head and a nut.

bolt.png

Thanks, Martin.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report