Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Member in Drawing View

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
786 Views, 11 Replies

Frame Member in Drawing View

Hi,

I have a frame member which has a Mitre (45) cut on one end of the member and a mitre (45) cut on the other end but on a different face

How do you place this member in a drawing (.idw) showing both mitre cuts and then dimensioned?

I attached an .ipt part (same dimensions as the Frame Generator member)

The part is 2013

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Could someone post a drawing on how they would place and dimension this member in a .IDW Drawing?

Thanks

Message 3 of 12
mdavis22569

not sure if you do first angle, or 3rd angle ...but here is an example

miter.PNG

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: mdavis22569

Thanks Mike

Yes i am not sure how to show the 2 different mitres. Will play with more

Thanks

Message 5 of 12
mdavis22569

I showed you both views with the different miters in each ....this could have it made for you

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

Could you please attach the drawing. I am using 2013

Message 7 of 12
mdavis22569

I can make you a pdf ... I'm on 2016 and 2017 (sorry)

you want to show where the cut starts, and the angle, because you may not always miter on a 45 

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

Hi Mike 

A PDF would be appreciated

I attached a screenshot of the actual sizes. I not sure i have shown where the dimensions are most important (I think)

Message 9 of 12
mdavis22569

here ya go

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks Mike

Could you please have a look at the image i posted last.....the dimensions are correct for this piece. Is this dimensioned wrong?

Thanks

Message 11 of 12
mdavis22569

the length is wrong ... you're at 1000, and it should be 640

I've attached a new PDF

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

Not sure if you are a student or not but dimensions should always be based on the standard that your company has in place.

However a few things..

The dimension of 88.9 should state 88.9 SQ to indicate the tube is square and all sides are the same/equal.

Remove both of the dimension 462.2..  You are using first angle projection in your drawing so you are trying to measure a linear distance on one side of the frame member to another edge on the other side.  Think about this part in your hands.  How would you measure that as a linear dimension?  Remember dimensions are being provide on a document so someone can make and inspect the final product.  It would be very hard to measure this 462.2 dimension.

Remove one of the 640 dimensions.   There's nothing wrong with the secondary one but its called over-dimension or duplicate dimension.  Its like when your sketching in Inventor and it tells you "adding this dimension will over-constrain the sketch".

7-10-2016 8-57-19 AM.jpg

Also I looked at your part..  The miter ends you could've just done with an extrusion cut instead of a doing a split.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report