Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame generator

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
453 Views, 6 Replies

Frame generator

I am trying to use frame generator (2014) to produce a simple, gently curved roof truss from SHS. It completes the bottom chord correctly but on the top curved member it comes up with

'could not add sweep feature: Sweep resulted in self intersecting geometry'

I've tried gentler curves, different sized SHS. Same result.

thanks

Peter

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

Welcome to the community..

Without seeing the actual curved shape we can only speculate that it is causing the shape profile to intersect itself based on the message that you received.  Can you provide the sketch that is being used in Frame Generator.   Without this information there's no way to assist you.

Here's a quick frame generator I did and not getting any error message but I don't have your dimensional information to work from.

10-7-2016 7-59-16 PM.jpg

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Thanks Mark,

You've done exactly what I'm looking for. I'm not sure how you got that image up, but I've attached a file below. Hope it works. I'm only doing a half truss so I could work on my screen. This image has the bottom chord but when I tried the curve stand alone the error still came up.

regards

Peter

Message 4 of 7
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

Is this what you're looking for?

10-7-2016 8-58-50 PM.jpg

Since I did this in Inventor 2017, I wanted to double check in Inventor 2014 to see if there was any difference.  I was able to recreate it in Inventor 2014 without any issues as well..  Like I said attach your Inventor part file of the sketch to the posting.  Meaning go to the actual posting and add your file using the attachment section.  Anyhow here's my sketch that I used in Inventor 2014.

Mark Lancaster

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Yes Mark,

that's exactly what I want.

Attachment below, I hope.

thanks

peter

Message 6 of 7
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

Here's the problem..  The failure is based on the sketch linetype of construction.  If you change the arc to a normal sketched arc, the frame will be placed without issues.  When I was doing mine, it was always based on a normal sketch type and not based on a construction line.  Yes I know its odd but that's the reason.  I don't have the time to test in 2015 or 2016 but the sketch type doesn't matter in 2017.  Meaning Autodesk is most likely not going to fix it in 2014 (in 6 months 2014 will drop off the radar for supporting products).

Mark Lancaster

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Thanks very much,

simple when you know how. I was only introduced to frame generator recently. This is an important step forward for me.

kind regards

Peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report