Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Generator Copy Design Browser Node Issues

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
mtresky
310 Views, 4 Replies

Frame Generator Copy Design Browser Node Issues

Hello,

We have recently discovered an issue in inventor when copying a frame generator assembly.

Using Vault Pro copy design (also even if not, just doing a copy in general), the actual copying of all parts/sub assemblies works just fine.  The new files are generated, in the appropriate folders, all links are broken to the original, all property information is updated as it should be, etc...

However, the problems exists ONLY in the inventor browser of the newly copied frame assembly.

When using the "Reuse" tool within frame gen, by default inventor "groups" those reused members into a type of sub-folder in the browser (see image attached).  This is fine when creating new frames, however when you copy a design the old frame data carries over into the name of said sub-folder.  This information does not exists anywhere but the folder/group name in the browser itself.

There is no way to rename this as it is not actually a folder, it simply acts as one.

This does not create problems in our model or vault, but is confusing for some users when old frame numbers appear in new assemblies they are not associated with at all.

This has caused problems in other areas though, the gist of it is this:

We have a workflow with a client we send native inventor models to of certain frames. The client then uses a 3rd party tool to translate said models to another format, creating Revit families with them.

When the translation happens, the folder name is also carried over creating confusion on the end (in revit)

I'm not looking for a Revit or translation fix, simply a way to rename these "ghost" folders in copied assemblies.

The only work around is to completely re-create the assemblies new, or promote all members up thus getting rid of the folders/groups... This is a problem as our frames are broken at that point.

Anybody else experienced this problem with browser nodes/folders and frame gen?

Any ideas how to rename them? Even if using iLogic or diving into the API and coding something?

The example in the attached image shows the copied frame (new number WLD300513) which still displays the original frame name as the folder/group name (WLD300491). Looking to have the new WLD300513 number translate through the copy so everything is aligned. You will notice the actual member names within the folder/group are correct.

Thanks!

mtresky_0-1659627725470.png

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jan_priban
in reply to: mtresky

Hi Mathew,

I would need to ask FG developer, but it seems Frame Generator makes folder of reused frame as read only.

But I found it is possible to make it read/write via API. Based on these help pages 

https://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2023/ENU/?guid=GUID-41FDC894-63A7-4A88-B87F-0CF811879560

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ilogic-and-vb-net-forum/rename-browser-nodes-from-an-assembl...

I wrote and test this VBA that makes reuse folder read/write. After macro run, you can rename reuse folder as usual - slow double click to get focus and rename. Modify macro to better detect reuse folder browserNode, but raw "source code" is this:

Sub FGReuseRename()
Dim oDoc As AssemblyDocument
Set oDoc = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument

' Get the model browser
Dim oPane As BrowserPane
Set oPane = oDoc.BrowserPanes.Item("Model")

Debug.Print oPane.TopNode.BrowserNodes(10).BrowserNodes(16).BrowserNodeDefinition.Label

Dim oReuseFolder As BrowserFolder
Set oReuseFolder = oPane.TopNode.BrowserNodes(10).BrowserNodes(16).NativeObject

Debug.Print TypeName(oReuseFolder)
oReuseFolder.AllowRename = True

End Sub

janpriban_0-1659705948523.png

janpriban_1-1659706283188.png

Regards

Jan Priban

Message 3 of 5
mtresky
in reply to: jan_priban

Thank you for the reply!

I will test this out and attempt to create something automated that runs, but even manually renaming is better than nothing.  I will keep you posted, thanks again!

Message 4 of 5
mtresky

I was able to use your code and tweak it for users to make 3 selection from the top level assembly.

Selection 1: the sub-assembly of the frame

Selection 2: the folder to rename

Selection 3: the member to rename the folder from

mtresky_1-1659729544948.png

In a global rule, overall 5 mouse clicks. 

1. open form

2. selection1

3. selection2

4. selection3

5. execute button

Code is below for anybody experiencing same issues and would like a fix:

---

'WRITTEN BY TRESKY 8/5/22
Sub Main
	'If nothing is selected, prompt user, otherwise try to run code
	If ThisDoc.Document.SelectSet.Count = 0 Then
		MessageBox.Show("Nothing Selected", "Nothing Selected!")
	Else
		'Set variable for 3 selections. Assembly component, folder to rename, and member to rename to...
		Dim Selection1, Selection3 As ComponentOccurrence
		Dim Selection2 As BrowserFolder

Selection1 = ThisDoc.Document.SelectSet(1)
		Selection2 = ThisDoc.Document.SelectSet(2)
		Selection3 = ThisDoc.Document.SelectSet(3)

'Grab the browser names of each of the 3 selections
		Dim Name1 As String = Selection1.Name
		Dim Name2 As String = Selection2.Name
		Dim Name3 As String = Selection3.Name

'Strip off the ":#" occurance number from the end of the name ***This would create a duplicate browser node if not***
		Dim nName As String = Left(Name3, Len(Name3) -2)

'Try to rename calling private sub created below with 3 inputs (selections)
		Try
			RenameFolder(Name1, Name2, nName)
		Catch
			'Display Error on error
			MessageBox.Show("Error. Something went wrong, please try again...", "Error")
		End Try
	End If
End Sub

'WRITTEN BY TRESKY 8/5/22
Sub RenameFolder(SubAssembly As String, CurrentName As String, NewName As String)
	Dim oDoc As AssemblyDocument
	oDoc = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument

' Get the model browser
	Dim oPane As BrowserPane
	oPane = oDoc.BrowserPanes.Item("Model")

'Set the reuse folder to rename using first and second selection inputs (Assembly Node, Folder Node)
	Dim oReuseFolder As BrowserFolder
	oReuseFolder = oPane.TopNode.BrowserNodes(SubAssembly).BrowserNodes(CurrentName).NativeObject

'Allow folder to be renamed
	oReuseFolder.AllowRename = True
	'Rename folder to third selection input
	oReuseFolder.Name = NewName

End Sub

Message 5 of 5
jan_priban

Hi Mathew,

much better identification of FG frame reuse folder than I used in my snippet above 😀

Regards

Jan Priban

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report