Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Force Always Open Subassembly/Part In Context

30 REPLIES 30
Message 1 of 31
cstarker6VCG4
1308 Views, 30 Replies

Force Always Open Subassembly/Part In Context

Seeming randomly, Inventor loses the ability to double-click to open sub-assemblies/parts in context and instead opens them in a new tab. This behavior is not linked to any particular assembly and file size is not correlated. How do I force it to always open in context when double-clicking?

30 REPLIES 30
Message 21 of 31

Hi! There could be a bug or a limitation as I mentioned earlier. The reason why the file cannot be edited in place is due to the fact that multiple Model States within the target document have been changed. Inventor Edit-in-Place cannot handle such events. The target document needs to be opened in its own window to edit.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 22 of 31
karthur1
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi! There could be a bug or a limitation as I mentioned earlier. The reason why the file cannot be edited in place is due to the fact that multiple Model States within the target document have been changed. Inventor Edit-in-Place cannot handle such events. The target document needs to be opened in its own window to edit.

Many thanks!

Johnson,

The assembly that I am working with in my video (message 19 above), only has the "Master" model state.  Also the sub-assembly that I was trying to edit in place, only has the "Master" model state.

I did notice that when I tried to use the context menu to edit in place, the "Edit" was not available (9sec mark).

karthur1_0-1693393079426.png

Thanks

Message 23 of 31
johnsonshiue
in reply to: karthur1

Hi Kirk,

I will need to see the files. The behavior does not make sense. Please share the files in zip with me directly johnson.shiue@autodesk.com. I would like to understand this Edit-in-Place behavior better.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 24 of 31

Now this is really starting to get in the way. I have a wire harness (no the Cable and Harness environment will not work here) with wires that must have different model states depending on where they are installed. I have to edit this in context to create the correct wire bends. There is no way to do this from the part files individually. Please patch this.

Message 25 of 31

Hi! Model States don't fully support specialized component workflow (Bolted Conn, Cable&Harness, Design Accelerator, Frame Generator, and Tube&Pipe). I think you want to use Design View instead. Do not create custom Model States. Keep using Primary Model States and exercise the special component workflows as usual. Then create Design View to hide unneeded components.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 26 of 31
karthur1
in reply to: cstarker6VCG4

Currently using 2022.5.2 and see the same random issue of not being able to open my sub in the context of the assembly. Sure, I can close all my open files and restart Inventor and it will resolve it for a while. But, that is so frustrating.

Kirk

Ref. F3718-A832

Message 27 of 31
johnsonshiue

Hi Kirk,

As I mentioned before, this is mainly due to the fact that a Model State is already consumed by the hosting assembly, while you are attempting to edit the component in place in a different Model State. Such mixed Model States in context edit isn't supported. As a result, the component has to be opened in its own window for editing. There is some technical difficulty here. So far the behaviors you are seeing is the best we can offer for now.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 28 of 31
karthur1

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi Kirk,

As I mentioned before, this is mainly due to the fact that a Model State is already consumed by the hosting assembly,.....

Many thanks!

Johnson,

When I close all my files and restart Inventor, then re-open the main assembly, I can then edit the sub in the context of the main assembly.  Is that workflow consistent with the issue you are describing?

Thanks,

Kirk

Message 29 of 31
johnsonshiue

Hi Kirk,

Yes, it does behave correctly. Let's say an assembly has a part instances with two Model States. ASMB -> Part1:MS1 and Part1:MS2. You edit Part1:MS1 in place. It should work. But after that, if you try editing Part1:MS2 in place, Inventor will open Part1 in its own window.

Then close all the files and reopen the assembly. Then try editing Part1:MS2 in place. It will work. But if you try editing Part1:MS1 in place, Inventor will open Part1 in its own window again.
The issue here is that at the moment, Inventor does not allow multiple Model States of a given component to be edited in place at the same time. It can lead to instability, which is why the workflow is blocked.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 30 of 31
karthur1

Thanks for the explanation.  Both my main assembly and the subs have only the "Master " model state.  So, I am not sure how model states are causing this.

Kirk

Message 31 of 31
johnsonshiue

Hi Kirk,

Please share the files with me directly johnson.shiue@autodesk.com. I would like to take a look to understand the edit-in-place behavior better.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report