Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Force Always Open Subassembly/Part In Context

30 REPLIES 30
Message 1 of 31
cstarker6VCG4
1048 Views, 30 Replies

Force Always Open Subassembly/Part In Context

Seeming randomly, Inventor loses the ability to double-click to open sub-assemblies/parts in context and instead opens them in a new tab. This behavior is not linked to any particular assembly and file size is not correlated. How do I force it to always open in context when double-clicking?

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
CCarreiras
in reply to: cstarker6VCG4

Hi!

Are you sure that the part you double click in assembly context, isn't already open in other tab?

What Inventor version are you using?
Have you installed all the updates for that version?

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 31
cstarker6VCG4
in reply to: CCarreiras

I am 100% sure that it's not open in another tab. Even if it was, I would expect to still be able to edit in context.

Build: 521, Release: 2022.5

This was happening long before any updates.

Message 4 of 31
CCarreiras

No, it's not true...
If the part is already open, you can't edit it in assembly context, you have to close it.

As you can see, the edit is disable for parts already opened:

CCarreiras_0-1691773679149.png

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 5 of 31
cstarker6VCG4
in reply to: CCarreiras

This response doesn't make any sense. I said I expect it to allow me to edit in context no matter what because forcing the user to go to an existing tab is stupid when I can just click that tab to go to it. I know this is not true and I'm criticizing Inventor.

Anyway, that's not the point of this thread. I will just lose the ability to edit in context regardless of whether or not the part is open in a tab. That's the problem I need to fix.

Message 6 of 31

Can you record your workflow?

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 7 of 31

There is nothing to it:

1)     Open any assembly

2)     Double-click a part or sub-assembly

3)     Repeat on varying parts or sub-assemblies until it suddenly opens in a new tab

I haven't noticed any correlating actions.

Message 8 of 31

Please record your screen.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 9 of 31
karthur1

I am using Inventor 2022.4 and I have seen this randomly happen.  The only way to resolve this is to close Inventor and restart, then all is back to normal.  Have not been able to nail down "why", but it happens.

Just like it randomly switch the sketch dimensions to show as "Tolerance" instead of "Value". No big deal, but it randomly happens.

Kirk

Message 10 of 31
cstarker6VCG4
in reply to: karthur1

I guess all we can do is keep complaining until it reaches critical mass.

Message 11 of 31

Hi! I believe you are seeing a limitation in Inventor Model States. When a subassembly or a part has multiple Model States and more than one Model State is opened in the memory already (consumed by the assembly), the edit-in-place operation could be blocked. Instead, the file will be opened in its own window. This is because the higher level Model State cannot properly capture the operations happening within edit-in-place. Also, not two Model States can be edited at the same time (they can be saved though).

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 31

Message 13 of 31

Hi! The description of the issue in the article could be a bit overly simplified. I think my description above is still valid. Before the fix, anytime when you tried editing a component in non-Primary Model State, the component document window would be open.

Now the fixed behavior is that regardless of which Model State is active, edit-in-place should be allowed. However, if there are multiple Model States consumed by the assembly (loaded in the memory), the same rule shall apply.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 14 of 31

So the issue is not fully solved, then.

Message 15 of 31

This is still happening with sub-assemblies that have no other instances in the super-assembly. If I understood you correctly, this bug only occurs if there are multiple instances of the sub-assembly and any of them are in different model states. That is never the case for me.

Message 16 of 31

Hi! If possible, please share an example that exhibits the behavior with me directly johnson.shiue@autodesk.com. I would like to understand why when there is only one Model State active (no other consumed Model States), Edit-in-Place is still blocked.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 17 of 31
karthur1

Ran across an assembly that is doing this.  Recorded a video of what I am seeing.  

I closed the assembly and reopened it. Now I can open the subassy in the context of the iam.  Before I could only open the sub iam in its own window.

https://screenpal.com/watch/c0jTqfVpAvS

Hope this helps.

Kirk

Message 18 of 31
johnsonshiue

Hi Kirk,

If possible, please send me the files directly johnson.shiue@autodesk.com. The behavior does not look right. There could be corruption leading Inventor to believe there are multiple Model States loaded at the same time. I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 19 of 31
karthur1
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I can't make it repeat this on demand.  When this happens, I close the assembly and then open it up again, then it works fine. I can send you the files in this assembly, but no guarantee that you will see this happen.

Kirk

Message 20 of 31

What karthur1 is describing is exactly what I am experiencing. Create an assembly with parts with different model states. Keep adding parts and set them to a non-master model state and soon you will lose the ability to in-context edit parts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report