Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat pattern holes on angles

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
rory.vn
433 Views, 6 Replies

Flat pattern holes on angles

Hi There, I am trying to cut holes in a flat pattern 2D sketch using the "cut" command but want the holes to be drilled on a plain at 15 degrees to the flat pattern surface, is this possible? The solution is easy when the holes are drilled perpendicular but at an angle is what I need. Thanks,

Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
-niels-
in reply to: rory.vn

The "Cut" function assumes you're using a punch to create the hole, so it doesn't give you an option for an angle.
If you want to drill the hole, you'll probably need to use the "unfold" and "refold" function and set up a workplane at an angle to create a "hole" feature on...

Attached an example of what i mean, IV2021 format

niels_0-1665383020189.png

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 7
JDMather

Can you Attach your file here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 7
rory.vn

Thanks Niels and JDMather.

Niels, do you mean unfold and then place the holes in the correct location on an angle, create a hole on the angled plane and then refold? Will the hole move back with the refold?

I have attached a copy of the sheet metal part. It's a cone 2mm thick and I want to drill holes on an angle (about 15 deg) to the tangent of the cone for each of the 44 hole positions shown on the flat pattern of the file. I have cut the holes in the flat pattern, but when you return to the folded part the holes don't show and they are perpendicular to the cone surface. 

I can create the drawing from the flat pattern but you can't see the holes in the model.

Any additional thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks,

Message 5 of 7
blandb

See if the quick attempt below is what you are trying to do? I noticed that you put sketches and features in the flat, which will only appear there, not the folded state. Unfold is a sheet metal command where it actually unfolds the model while still in the modeling environment. This allows to make features in a flat, and then roll back up.

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 6 of 7
-niels-

@rory.vn wrote:

Niels, do you mean unfold and then place the holes in the correct location on an angle, create a hole on the angled plane and then refold? Will the hole move back with the refold?

Yes, like @blandb also explained, unfold / refold will allow you to create features in a (partly if desired) unfolded state and then refold them into the bent shape.

I couldn't open your file in 2021, so i can't comment on your work.

(i have access to 2023, but currently working on stuff so switching would be inconvenient.)

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 7 of 7
rory.vn
in reply to: blandb

Yeah that's exactly what I was trying to do, I'll just need to change the direction of the 15 deg line which should be easily done. Thanks for the help blandb, greatly appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report