Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fillet Weld Interference

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
JDPL
346 Views, 4 Replies

Fillet Weld Interference

Good Morning,

While welding two columns together I discovered that the weld bead had gone through the post walls. How can this be corrected?

Fillet Weld Interference.png

Attached  you will find the corresponding .ipt/.iam files. 

Thank you.

Regards,

Josue de Paz

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: JDPL

@JDPL 

When posting and sharing files you need to include what Inventor version you're using..

In your case its Inventor 2018 RTM version..  If you're entitled to updates, I would recommend that you update to Inventor 2018.3 and then Inventor 20183.6.   These updates can be found in your Desktop App or Autodesk Account (manage.autodesk.com)/Product update

Let us know if that corrected the issue.

Update: Anyhow update but it will not correct the issue...  I'm no welding expert but you have a larger weld then the thickness of the smaller channel...

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 5
JDPL
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Good Morning Mark,

I just checked my account and there are no updates available for my Inventor version at the moment.

Regards,

Josue de Paz

Message 4 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: JDPL

Hi! If you make the parts invisible, you will see actually the bleed through happens on both sides. I think this is a limitation here. The fillet weld follows the convex faces. At the place where both meet, the weld beads are not trimmed properly. The tricky thing is Inventor does not know what the desirable outcome should be.

Attached is an alternative workflow to avoid the problematic area. Please take a look and see if it works for you.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 5
JDPL
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Good Afternoon Johnson,

Using your solution as a starting point, I was able to get what I wanted (visually at least).

I split the corners of both columns to use a fillet weld, and then filled the gaps with a combination of fillet and groove welds. However there is still some interference between the weld bead and the tubes (please see attachments).

Groove Weld Interference.png

Thank you.

Regards,

Josue de Paz

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report