Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

file structure in project set up

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
166 Views, 3 Replies

file structure in project set up

i have been told that if i have more than 100 files in an assembly i should create subfolders in my workspace. like a folder for .ipt and one for .iam and libraries, is this the best way to do this? and if so how do iv know to put the iam. in the assembly folder and the ipt. in the parts folder? thank you in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I don't have any test results or extensive knowledge of the internal workings of IV to back up what I am about to say but I think that is hogwash. At some point the NTFS file system will bog down with too many files. Many people say that would be millions of files, while I have heard reports of it being closer to 10,000-40,000 files. In any case 100s of files isn't an issue.

As for IV loading files, having a proper project file that doesn't explicitly specify subfolder paths is the best way to maximize large assembly loading but once again 100s of files aren't enough to really be a problem.

You can read more about this, somewhere on the IV disk is a word doc that explains exactly how IV loads files.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Some tests a few versions back indicated that more than ~750 files in a single folder could affect performance. I highly doubt that 100 files would be a problem. Dennis -- Dennis Jeffrey Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert Autodesk Product Consulting and Training Center for Design Excellence http://www.design-excellence.com 260-312-6188

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report