Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FG wrong length in the bom list (2023)

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
jj.eefting
904 Views, 14 Replies

FG wrong length in the bom list (2023)

Hi,

We work with inventor 2023 and now I run into a small problem.
For the sizes we have a costum property in inventor. This also includes the length of pipes and the like. If the tubes are added via the content center, this all works fine. But as soon as I use insert frame in frame generator it goes wrong. As shown in the pictures below. In the unit qty column, the length works fine. Is there a fix for this?

jjeefting_0-1684763427873.png

jjeefting_1-1684763849263.png

jjeefting_2-1684763971467.png

jjeefting_3-1684764037493.png

jjeefting_4-1684764144964.png

Labels (3)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
cadman777
in reply to: jj.eefting

Fix your BOM/PartsList so the <B_L> is <G_L>.

<B_L> = uncut length

<G_L> = cut length

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
Message 3 of 15
johnsonshiue

Hi! If possible, please share the Inventor FG files in zip here. I would like to understand the behavior better. It should just work.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 15
jj.eefting
in reply to: cadman777

Hi @cadman777,

I have tried replacing B_L with G_L in the family table. Unfortunately this is not possible. When I change the expression to that, an error occurs. It show up in red and won't apply. 

Message 5 of 15
jj.eefting
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi @johnsonshiue

All the files are in the attachments. Hopes this is useful!

Message 6 of 15
cadman777

Hmm...sorry for assuming things.

B_L means BaseLength.

G_L means GeometricLength.

If your assembly is built in FrameGenerator, then it's important to do the cuts/lengthens first then the copes. Otherwise, the lengths will be wrong. Is your assembly built in Tube&Pipe? If so, I can't offer any opinions because I don't have it or use it.

Otherwise, the way I do it in the BOM/PartsList is to add a formula to a Custom column in the FamilyTable.

For example, if it's 3" standard wall pipe:

<SHAPE> <G_D> Sch <SCH> - <G_L> Lg

Shows up in the BOM/PartsList as:

P 3 Sch 40 - 12 Lg

(SHAPE is a custom iProperty that designates the part's structural shape; P = Pipe std wall, PP = Pipe heavy wall, etc.)

2" equal leg angle example:

<SHAPE> <G_H> x <G_W> x <G_T> - <G_L> Lg

Shows up as:

L 2 x 2 x 1/4 - 12 Lg

So maybe you just need to change your BOM/PartsList?
You would need to add a column in your Family table that your BOM/PartsList can use with a Custom iProperty and formula. You also need to add the same iProperty and formula to your Template file.

It may be simpler than that, so let's see what Johnson says.

I can't look at your files because I work off an older version of Inventor.

Example of PIPE Family Table & Template File below.

Note the PartNumber is a custom formula so it sorts uniformly across all parts.

Also, I combined all the same Shape out-of-the-box tables so they're all in one file.

For example, all angles are in one Template/FamilyTable (equal leg and unequal leg).
It was a huge work-flow hindrance during design cycles to change between equal leg and unequal leg angle.

After combining the 2 Templates, I could easily and simply change angle types with no down-stream problems.

cadman777_0-1684932305184.pngcadman777_1-1684932333306.png

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 7 of 15
johnsonshiue

Hi! I suspect it has something to do with the CC column definition. Instead of selecting "Express Column", you need to select "Custom Column" because the value can vary according to the actual length. Could you try it?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 15
jj.eefting

Hi @johnsonshiue,

My length is a costum collum that is why it works if i use a normal part. 

Only in frame generator the length doesn't work. But when I look in the parameters of the parts the B_L is good. 

I will try @cadman777 suggestion. 

thanks in advance for thinking along @cadman777 and @johnsonshiue 

jjeefting_0-1684996355571.png

jjeefting_1-1684996728203.png

Message 9 of 15
cadman777

One more thing...

If the PartNumber isn't correct in your CC parts, you can easily fix that in the BOM without having to update your FamilyTable Template, as I'm sure you know. All you have to do in your BOM is enter the formula one part, sort the columns to group all the same type of part, and then drag that cell down to fill all the cells in the same type of parts. Takes only a minute or less.

One of the things I did to my CC parts was to 'uniformize' all the Parameters so every part has the same Parameter names. So for length, whether structural shapes, pipes, fasteners or whatever, I use G_L. For diameter of any kind of part I use G_D, unless there's a nominal diameter in which case I use G_D as the true diameter and G_D_Nom as the nominal diameter. Same with everything else. Anything that comes stock with a thickness (plate, sheet, tubing wall, etc.) I made G_T.  But if its thickness is called-out in the PartsList as nominal thickness, then I make that G_T_Nom. Same with structural beams. True height = G_H and nominal height = G_H_Nom. That also makes it easier to sort the FamilyTable by true height if I want. Those examples should give you an idea of how you can uniformize your CC so it's real easy to manage any BOM with simple drag-to-fill entries per part type.

THE SIMPLER THE BETTER!

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 10 of 15
johnsonshiue
in reply to: cadman777

Hi! I took another look at the files. Interestingly, the Part Number with these frame members is correct. Each has the correct length attached to it. I guess the Column Properties for "Dimension" is wrong. It basically copies the value from "Designation" column. You may want to check the expression used in "Part Number" column to see how to set up "Dimension" expression properly.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 15
cadman777

I bypass all the inconsistencies in the CC by creating my own columns and modifying existing columns to suit my needs. So working withing the existing out-of-the-box confusion only adds to the confusion. I never understood the 'logic' in non-uniform Parameters for CC parts. I also never understood the mirrored profiles. They are such a complicated mess that I re-authored all of them to simplify the whole mess.

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 12 of 15
jj.eefting

Hi @cadman777 and @johnsonshiue,

I was trying to change everything with a costum property then i saw this.

In the iproperties everthing is fine, gives the right partnumber, stocknumber etc. With the right lenghts.

Only in the costum tab the dimensions property gives a wrong length. This is rather strange because the stock number uses the same costum property and displays the rigth length. I can't figure out how this is possible. 

Maybe one of you guys knows what makes this occurre. It looks like to me the costum property is not updating.

jjeefting_0-1685518640339.png

jjeefting_1-1685518684980.png

jjeefting_2-1685518709676.png

jjeefting_3-1685518731676.png

Message 13 of 15
cadman777

I quit using the StockNunmber to report Shapes, Sizes and Lengths, b/c it 'has a mind of its own' based on Inventor's internal coding. That is why I use my own Custom iProperty with a formula (I call it 'NAME'). It never reports wrong data.

Here is how I use the iProperties to make them work for me:

1. Inventor's native PartNumber functions solely as the BOM Roll-Up mechanism.

2. Inventor's StockNumber functions as a part number instead of Inventor's Item in the BOM.

I always have to change this at the end of a project when doing the numbering process b/c it's never right automatically.

3. I use Inventor's BOM Item to generate the consecutive numbers that are used in the StockNumber.

To accomplish this I use Inventor's BOM auto-sort and auto-numbering, then copy and past into the StockNumber column.

I always wait till the end of the drawing process to do numbering b/c of changes that occur during the process.

My advice to you is DO NOT USE INVENTOR'S 'Stock Number' FOR ANYTHING AUTOMATED.

Some Inventor 'automatic' functions we just need to WORK-AROUND and learn to live with.

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 14 of 15
A.Acheson

Hi @jj.eefting 

If the custom iproperty "Dimensions" is giving the incorrect length you need to find where it is getting the information. In your first images it is getting information from the designation column which seems to be static. Would it work to put the stock number as it's value ? It looks like this is correctly recording the placed part length.

If this solved a problem, please click (accept) as solution.‌‌‌‌
Or if this helped you, please, click (like)‌‌
Regards
Alan
Message 15 of 15
jj.eefting

Hi @A.Acheson the problem is that the stocknumber is driven by the costum iproperty Dimensions.😅

That is why it is very strange that the stocknumber updates correctly and the dimensions don't. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report