Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family Tables and Windchill Workgroup Manager

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
mike_schumacher
324 Views, 3 Replies

Family Tables and Windchill Workgroup Manager

We are using Inventor 2020 and migrated the from Vault to Windchill 12.0.   We noticed when we update a family table in Inventor and re-generate, the ilogic rules that used to be in the child model files are now gone.

1. What does Inventor use as the template or base file when generating the child model files from the family table?
  2. It seems odd the parent model file has the ilogic rules and the child files had the ilogic rules until we did a regenerate.   

Note:  This only seems to be an issue when connected to Windchill using the Workgroup Manager.

Looking for some insight.

thanks

mike 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hi Mike,

It should be using the Standard.ipt and Standard.iam template files in your template folder designated in the Project setting. If the template file contains the iLogic rule, it should be included in the member file. However, I personally don't think this is a good workflow to begin with. The iPart/iAssembly members are supposed to be read-only, more like library components. iLogic rules tend to modify the files. It could lead to confusing behaviors.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 4

Johnson Shiue,

Thank you for your response.  Your response indicates Inventor should be using the standard.ipt from the templates folder defined in the project file.

Our templates are named Standard_IN.ipt and Standard_MM.ipt (we still use imperial and metric in our modeling and drawings).

In Windchill, we did not have a Standard.ipt in our templates location.   Not sure what template Inventor was using when I generated my child files in the family tables.

I can tell you this, when I put a separate Standard.ipt file in our templates folder containing the iLogic rules we wanted, Inventor then generated the child family table files that included the custom iLogic rules we had put in Standard.ipt.

When I remove Standard.ipt (with our custom iLogic rules) and try to generate a file from the family table, the new generated file does not contain the iLogic rules.

What you said along with my tests using Inventor and Windchill seems to make sense.   Having a template file called Standard.ipt does make a difference.

We do not see this issue when our engineering group is using Inventor and Vault.  I am still looking to see if we have a Standard.ipt file sitting in Vault or some external folder to explain why we are getting different results.

For example,  Inventor and vault

• Engineer uses a template called "Standard (in).ipt" (contains ilogic rules)
  • Creates a family table
  • Generates files
  • child files contain the iLogic rules (as expected)

Does anyone know why Inventor does not use the parent file (may contain iLogic rules) when generating the child files for the family table?

Thanks for all the help.  It has been leading me to helping define the problem for our engineers.

Mike

Message 4 of 4

Hi! When there are no Standard templates, Inventor can still create files based on internal hard-coded default settings. It means the iLogic rule will not be included.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report