Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to create flange or face

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
GraemeFV87HK
150 Views, 2 Replies

Failed to create flange or face

Hi,

I'm having issues with creating the final flange on a sheet metal tray. The tray is derived from a solid base component because the base of the tray has creases in it. I initially tired with the face tool but this didn't work. I've also tried with the flange tool but this doesn't work either.

I did manage to get a flange attached with a work around but this then caused flat patterns issues.  

Does anyone have any ideas or workarounds to generate the return flange and for the flat pattern to generate correctly?

Attached is the part file (J04931-0002) and the base component (J04931-0001)

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
pcrawley
in reply to: GraemeFV87HK

You've got a couple of problems in the model, but the one preventing the flange working is this seam:

2023-11-23_14-42-01.jpg

If you look at the seam, there's zero gap.  I edited Sketch 10 and moved the vertical line defining the face by GapSize/2:

2023-11-23_14-43-53.jpg

Now the Flange tool works all the way round, and the flat pattern works too.

2023-11-23_14-46-00.jpg

The bottom corners at the "shallow end" of the tray could do with a bit of love 😉

Peter
Message 3 of 3
johnsonshiue
in reply to: GraemeFV87HK

Hi! I think I know where the problem is. This sheet metal part cannot be unfolded because of colliding bends. If you look closely at the sharp tip of the Mirror1, you will see two bend zones merge. Inventor cannot unfold such bends. I suggest you delete the Flat Pattern. Create each Face as a separate solid body. Then use Bend feature to connect the faces. Once you have one solid body, create the Flat Pattern.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report