Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dragging Error with Flexible Component Pattern

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
ckautz
216 Views, 3 Replies

Dragging Error with Flexible Component Pattern

Inventor Professional 2024

Build 272, Release 2024.2

Hi All,

I've searched around for this specific issue, and nothing seems to be of help. This seems like a relatively new issue as it has only happened to me within the past few weeks:

I have a 3-Jaw Chuck that uses a rotation Component Pattern to sync the movement of the Jaws. We use these Jaws to make setup sheets for machinists. Currently, whenever I constrain the original (master) Jaw of the Chuck, I get errors when I try to drag any parts with at least 1 degree of freedom.

Replication: (Pack and Go Included with post) Make a shaft and place into assembly grounded at origin. Place the Assembly of the 3-Jaw chuck into this new assembly. Constrain the chuck to be axially in center of the shaft/assembly. Enable Flexibility of Chuck and use "Tangent - Outside" to constrain the jaws to the shaft. Constrain the Machine Table to the bottom of the chuck and align the axis using Angle, not mate. Drag the table and the assembly will throw a Drag error. Sometimes a relationship will show as "sick" but dragging the part will fix it again. other situations, no relationship is effected.

Error message:

"Relationship is inconsistent with another and one must be edited, deleted or suppressed."

Only related searches for this involve Inventor Factory (which I do not use) and weldment conversions (this is a basic assembly file.

ckautz_1-1700517985314.png

This issue is very repeatable on my computer as it worked the instant I made this dummy file to upload here.

The file I have included has all of the assembly requirements to cause the error to show up on my computer, prior to the error showing up. You can follow the above replication or use the Pack and Go assembly.

Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
3D4Play
in reply to: ckautz

No error for me. Constraining the jaws to the shaft requires an inside tangent constraint (assuming you want contact between the jaws and the shaft), but I tried it with both inside and outside tangent constraints (it didn't matter, no error). I didn't see a need for the angle constraint you mentioned but tried it with and without that constraint. Neither dragging the table nor the chuck threw any errors (the chuck just rotated around the shaft as constrained, and slid along the table surface, as constrained). Your instructions for setting up the assembly were a bit unclear, but I think I'm supposed to end up with a parent assembly that has the table part, the shaft part, and the chuck subassembly. What did I miss?

3D4Play_0-1700523577510.png

Message 3 of 4
ckautz
in reply to: 3D4Play

The angle constraint was to allow the table to have 2 degrees of freedom, and only the table. The chuck and shaft in my assembly has 0 degrees of freedom. Take a look at the assembly in the .zip if you have time

Yes, you had the same assembly structure as mine:

Parent Assembly

-Chuck Assembly

-Shaft

-Table

Apologies that the replication instructions were not entirely clear.

Message 4 of 4
johnsonshiue
in reply to: ckautz

Hi! I think this is a bug or a limitation in terms of DOF analysis. Somehow Inventor got confused by the available DOF and complained about the wrong thing. Go to Tools -> App Options -> Assembly -> check "Enable redundant relationship analysis." Then do Rebuild All. The three Flush constraints at the top are redundant. Suppress them. The flexible solve will work correctly without an error.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report