Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extrusion not following sketch lines

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
mculp642
363 Views, 5 Replies

Extrusion not following sketch lines

I am working on a personal project for which I traced a raster image manually using splines. I got the sketch to where I wanted it and then extruded it and meshed the splines the rest of the way using sketch doctor in the extrude menu. After this Inventor found the correct geometry and highlighted it in the preview then the extrude added extra material outside of the preview, notice the lines in the part which are shown as where it is supposed to extrude vs where it actually extruded. Any ideas for how I could fix this or if there is a better way to convert a raster to design the I am also open to suggestions, thank you.

Sketch.PNGextrude.PNG

kelly.young has embedded your image for clarity.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
johnsonshiue
in reply to: mculp642

Hi! The image looks like a collection of profiles of all continents. In general, it is better to keep spline curvature continuous. In your case, I would break up the spline into multiple pieces. Or, you can use AutoCAD Raster Design to convert the image to vectored lines or splines. You don't need to manually trace the image. After you convert it to AutoCAD geometry, you can import it or simply copy and paste it to Inventor sketch.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 6
mculp642
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I didn't see the vector tools in Autocad's ribbon, is there an add on that I need to download to get them?

Message 4 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! What release of AutoCAD are you using? Raster Design used to be a separate install. Now it is part of AutoCAD.

https://www.autodesk.com/products/autocad/included-toolsets/autocad-raster-design

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 6
mculp642
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I am using AutoCAD 2018 currently.

Message 6 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! Here is the link to download AutoCAD Raster Design 2018 trial.

https://www.autodesk.com/products/autocad-raster-design/free-trial.4+starting+autocad+raster+designa...

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report