Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting idw to dwg scaling issue

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
sattju
1213 Views, 8 Replies

Exporting idw to dwg scaling issue

I have an idw with one sheet that has multiple different view scales on it of section and detail views ranging from 1”=1’ to 1’=1’. When I go to “save a copy” to dwg, the scales are completely out of whack. How can I get it to where all of my views are scaled correctly during the saving process?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
SharkDesign
in reply to: sattju

When you are saving it to DWG, click options and you will see various options in there. 

I normally use baseview scale which scales the first view placed to 1:1 and everything else accordingly. 

There are other options, for instance to have everything at 1:1, it briefly describes each one in the wizard. 

options.JPGscalae.JPG

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 3 of 9
sattju
in reply to: SharkDesign

I have gone through all of these options multiple times and nothing seems to work. I saved it according to its base view (which 90% of the time is correct), but the issue I’m having is that base view is on an entirely different sheet than it’s section view. The base view is set at a 3/8 scale and it’s section view is set at 1”. It is linking itself to the base view because my sheet is at a 3/8” scale in CAD. How can I get these section and detail views to be their own scale size instead of it being scaled to 3/8”?

Message 4 of 9
SharkDesign

This only works if your section/detail is at the same scale as the base view. Sections and detail views are supposed to be for reference so I don't think they ever appear at 1:1. 

This question was also asked a few months back:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/section-views-problem/m-p/10455774

Oh, turns out, it was you that asked it.

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 5 of 9
sattju
in reply to: SharkDesign

Shows you how much I pay attention 😂

Message 6 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! As James mentioned here, you need to select the appropriate option in DWG Export Wizard to get the desirable scaling.

Another approach you may consider is to save the idw as Inventor dwg file. Then open the dwg file in AutoCAD -> EXPORTLAYOUT. The drawing views will be exported as blocks. You can control the scaling more easily.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 9
mcgyvr

What is it that you are expecting?

Do you need the lines of ALL views on all sheets to be measured 1:1 "true to size" in Autocad? 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 9
sattju
in reply to: mcgyvr

So sorry for the late reply. I was basically wanting each section and detail view to export as their own scale instead of exporting in accordance to its base view. Not everyone uses Inventor at my office so that is why I export to CAD a lot so they can reference what I designed. They sometimes will change some dimensions here and there and since those section and detail views aren’t to scale, it throws off the dimensions and I get the “WTF?” look. 😂

Message 9 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! Then try this workflow and see if it works better. Save the Inventor idw as an Inventor dwg file. Open the dwg file in AutoCAD -> EXPORTLAYOUT. Each sheet will be exported as blocks in a dwg file. Once the views become blocks, the scaling is a lot more flexible.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report