Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting IAM to NWD with Predefined Position

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
BeKirra
252 Views, 7 Replies

Exporting IAM to NWD with Predefined Position

I posted a thread in Navisworks forum.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/navisworks-forum/exporting-iam-to-nwd-with-predefined-position/td-p/1...

But I think people here may be more familiar with this as it is an Inventor related question.

As the title stated, I don't figure out export IAM with a predefined position to NWD.

Or @johnsonshiue has any clues?

Thanks in advance.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
James_Willo
in reply to: BeKirra

I'm sorry but it is not possible to export to NWD. You would have to export to RVT and then to NWC I think it is?
Inventor to Revit position is currently Inventor origin to Revit Internal origin, so you would have to relocate it in Revit first. 

James W
Inventor UX Designer
Message 3 of 8
BeKirra
in reply to: James_Willo

@James_Willo wrote:

I'm sorry but it is not possible to export to NWD. You would have to export to RVT and then to NWC I think it is?
Inventor to Revit position is currently Inventor origin to Revit Internal origin, so you would have to relocate it in Revit first. 

Unfortunately, I don't have Revit.

It seems not workable for me if I have to use Revit.

Sorry, it is not the solution for me.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 4 of 8
James_Willo

I'm sorry we can't solve your issue. Navisworks is an aggregator, so you are supposed to start a NW file and then bring other files into it. In this situation, exporting from Inventor would not be very useful. I assume this is why we don't offer direct export to NW.
Even in Revit it won't create an NWC out of the box, you have to install an additional Autodesk add-in to get it to work. 

James W
Inventor UX Designer
Message 5 of 8
James_Willo

It seems like the Navisworks Data Connector is still WIP so you can't do it through data-exchange either yet. 
https://portal.productboard.com/autodeskforge/11-autodesk-data-exchange/tabs/20-in-progress

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

James W
Inventor UX Designer
Message 6 of 8
BeKirra
in reply to: James_Willo

@James_Willo wrote:

I'm sorry we can't solve your issue. Navisworks is an aggregator, so you are supposed to start a NW file and then bring other files into it. In this situation, exporting from Inventor would not be very useful. I assume this is why we don't offer direct export to NW.
Even in Revit it won't create an NWC out of the box, you have to install an additional Autodesk add-in to get it to work. 

We need to send out a couple of options of the assembly for client's consideration/discussion.

In this case, we need to show different positions of the part in the model.

And this why I think Navisworks should provide the function to users.

BTW

1. Can you let me know where to submit ideas for Navisworks?

2. What is the add-on available that you mentioned?

Thanks.

X² + Y² = C²
Message 7 of 8
James_Willo

When you say different positions, do you mean in relation to a building or something?

Model states or positional representations will allow you to show different positions of an assembly as itself. 

The add-in is here:
https://www.autodesk.com/products/navisworks/3d-viewers

James W
Inventor UX Designer
Message 8 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! I believe Navisworks can import Inventor files directly. The trick here is to place the assembly in another assembly. Then activate the PosRep in the subassembly. Then import the top-level iam file to Navsiworks. It should work.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report