Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting an AutoCad .dwg from Inventor causes hidden lines to turn solid - Bug?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
mcbobmc
2560 Views, 8 Replies

Exporting an AutoCad .dwg from Inventor causes hidden lines to turn solid - Bug?

Hello folks! I'm looking for either a solution to our issue OR verification that the issue is happening to others.

One of the guys in my office noticed that when we export an Inventor .idw file to an AutoCad .dwg file (for use in-house) and open it in AutoCad, the Hidden Line layer has changed from a dashed line to a solid (continuous) line. It still stays in the Hidden Line layer, but the linetype changes. We have also noticed it in our Tweak Lines from Presentations as those are normally dashed as well. In fact, any dashed line layers turn into solid lines.

We have tried Exporting a PDF as well as Exporting an Inventor DWG and only the AutoCad Export has this issue.

Original .idwOriginal .idw

AutoCad .dwg ExportAutoCad .dwg Export

Inventor .dwg ExportInventor .dwg Export

.pdf Export.pdf Export

Listed are the things we have tried:

• Starting with a Inventor .dwg still repeats the problem
  • Inventor's standard templates as well as custom drawing templates are affected
  • Exporting as AutoCad .dwg in a AutoCad Mechanical 2019, AutoCad 2018, and AutoCad 2004 format all repeat the problem
  • The problem did not exist in late Inventor 2018
  • Tried saving/opening with different combinations of three different computers
  • Autodesk TruView shows the same as AutoCad

We are currently running Inventor 2019.1.1 on 64-bit Windows 10 Pro (Version: 1803, Build: 17134.319). I did upgrade my computer to Inventor 2019.1.2 and the problem persisted. I strongly suspect that the issue started when we upgraded to Inventor 2019, but I don't have any conclusive evidence other than it didn't happen when we had Inventor 2018.

Like I said, any help in solving would be appreciated or at least verification that other people are affected.

Matt

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: mcbobmc

Can you post the files?
Message 3 of 9
philip1009

There are scaling things that can become in issue when going from Inventor to Autocad, it could be you have to zoom in real close to the hidden lines before you actually see the dashes, or it could be the other way around.  Instead of dwg, you could do a save copy as in dxf format, then open and save the dxf as dwg when you've finished checking/editing it.

EDIT: Save Copy As for dxf also gives you more options when you click Options at the bottom of the file dialog window.

Message 4 of 9
mcbobmc
in reply to: Anonymous

Sure, I just created a simple test part for my screenshots though

Message 5 of 9
mcbobmc
in reply to: Anonymous

Rest of the files

Message 6 of 9
mcgyvr

@mcbobmc

When doing the save copy as click the options button before pressing save and then press next and open the mapping options button to see what Inventor layers are being mapped to what Autocad layers..

I can do a save copy as just fine and get the hidden lines..

Mapping.PNG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 9
mcbobmc
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr

Now we are getting somewhere. I did as you suggested and every single entry was set to continuous with no other choice in the drop down. We use custom configurations, but when I checked the default configuration, it showed the same thing. I clicked on the "reset defaults" both times with no result. On a hunch, I checked a dxf file and it was the same thing. I'm currently hunting down that "invANSI.lin" to see if that will give me any hints.

mcgyver 1.JPG

Message 8 of 9
mcbobmc

@mcgyvr

Success! I found the "invANSI.lin" linetype file, re-selected that file, and the linetypes reverted back to what you yourself see. I saved the configuration, and checked both a dwg and dxf and both worked. Thanks everyone for your help! I have no idea how they might have gotten corrupted though.

mcgyver 2.JPG

Message 9 of 9
mcgyvr

@mcbobmc 

Mine is attached..

Use it.. Done.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report