Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export assembly to .obj, while keeping the correct names of its parts?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
nicolasG63E5
1221 Views, 3 Replies

Export assembly to .obj, while keeping the correct names of its parts?

Hello helpful Inventor Forum,
I am looking for a way to export a medium Assembly in Inventor 2019/2022 to .obj, to use it in a web application.

The problem is, that all entities in the single-file .obj are numbered instead of their original names. I tried every option in the export-to-cad function, to no avail. Is there maybe a plugin for this?

My search in several forums did not reveal up anything about this, but I was told that somebody managed to do this some time ago.

Thanks a lot for all the help over the years. I hope someone can hint me to a solution here, too.

Best regards

NC

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
johnsonshiue
in reply to: nicolasG63E5

Hi! If I understood your request correctly, this can be set in the Options. When exporting to obj, click on Options -> Structure -> select "One file per part instance." You will get one obj per part. Is this what you were looking for?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 4
nicolasG63E5
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thank you for the fast reply.
Sadly, this option is not a solution here, because I need a single obj.-file containing all instances (correctly named) of the assembly.
Besides, when I tested this option, the resulting "Assembly".obj file failed to load in any viewer on my machine, including Blender.

Message 4 of 4
nicolasG63E5
in reply to: nicolasG63E5

For anyone with the same Problem, I have got the solution from the somebody I mentioned in my question:
The trick is to open every part in the assembly and rename the volume (or every volume) in it to the desired name. When exporting, the single-file-.obj contains the instances named after the contained part-volumes.

Another questions that came up was: how can I control the names of the part-volumes?

I'd like to do it in a less tedious way, or to make it inherit the name of the file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report