Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embossing on a solid vase

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Cameron_Greatorex
1060 Views, 13 Replies

Embossing on a solid vase

I've created a vase for a project which is made out of a simple spline and a revolve. I'm starting to emulate the patterns - first as a 2D sketch then projected as a 3D sketch. The reason being, the emboss function didn't work with a 2D sketch and according to the forums embossing is only available for flat, cylindrical or truncated surfaces.

What are my options? Is there a way to turn the 3D sketch into an offset surface and extrude it from there? I almost never use 3D sketches.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tags (2)
Labels (1)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Can you Attach your *.ipt file here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 14

Sure. Thank you for taking a look at it.
Message 4 of 14

I used the email reply function, but I'll post here just incase.

Thank you for taking a look at it JD!

Message 5 of 14

Attached an example to show a principal solution. Of course it must be refined with the correct dimensions. The main idea is to use a bended part feature...

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 14

Wow. Thank you for doing this. I can make sense of about half of what you have done and how you did it. Is it possible for you to share a screen capture so that the community can document this process? I am sincerely grateful for your help. If anyone would like to suggest a further simplified solution they are welcome to, but for now I am going to accept this solution and pray that I can recreate it (there are about 3 more sketches that I have to do with the same technique).

Message 7 of 14

I've just tried replicating your steps with my sketch but the part won't bend with the same parameters that you had. I converted your sketch into construction geometry and just added my own on top. It's not a problem integrating it throughout the construction tree but gets stuck with just one iteration of mine when it is time to bend. So close!

Message 8 of 14

@Cameron_Greatorex wrote:

So close!

Post your current dwg ...

Jürgen Palme
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 14

Thank you 😅

Message 10 of 14

Post your current *.ipt file.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 11 of 14

Here you go. It just won't bend for some reason 🤔

Message 12 of 14

The bend line must touch or cross the volume. Your Line (the sketch plane) is a little away from the volume.

(see attached image).

(and sorry for my error above: I wrote dwg instead of ipt, excuse me ... thanks to @JDMather for the correction)

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Message 13 of 14

You da man! Thank you Jürgen. All I have to do is emulate this for 3 more patterns and with any luck....I will make an art historian a very happy man!

If I can help you in any way, just let me know.

Thank you so much!

Message 14 of 14

I just wanted to share the final result with you guys. Thank you so much for the help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report