Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing STL files, most efficient conversion? No luck so far

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
mw24396
457 Views, 8 Replies

Editing STL files, most efficient conversion? No luck so far

Not having any luck.  Followed the AUTODESK help section on the process.  After stitching surface I still come up with LOTS of errors.  SO much so that I cannot thicken, it produces errors.  

I've tried converting it myself, with other programs, still no luck.  

Please help!!

Respectfully,

Michael W. 

Labels (5)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: mw24396

There are no curves in stl.  Not even one.  All planar triangles.

Why would you use stl for anything other than reference in creating proper geometry?

I would question the Design for Manufacturability of some of the features...

JDMather_0-1656010873431.png

Who did the original design work?

Why did they not give you a native or STEP file rather than rubbish stl?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 9
mcgyvr

I used mesh enabler addin and had no problems getting a solid I could edit.

https://apps.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=6950391119076900441&appLang=en&os=Win64

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 9
mw24396
in reply to: JDMather

@mcgyvr 

ok so below is the output message I get.  I can cut the surfaces but they do not function as a solid after and I can't close up the file and make it water tight.  

Screen Shot 06-23-22 at 03.56 PM.PNG

@JDMather 

 I didn't know STL's were that bad!  It's just a file from Thingiverse for my Prusa 3D printer.  I've written to him requesting the CAD files in a different format, but no response yet.  

My problem with his design is there is one part that breaks very easily and I need to redesign just a portion of the piece.  

I learned the uselessness of STL files years ago and personally only upload them alongside original CAD file formats.  But on 3D print websites it's common practice for people to just upload the STL files.  

Message 5 of 9
JDMather

@mw24396 wrote:

@JDMather 

 I didn't know STL's were that bad!  It's just a file from Thingiverse 

Well there are two issues here:

1. Stl is only planar triangular facet representation of curved surfaces - this is OK for 3D Printing, but not design.

2. For it's intended purpose stl is fine, but in my experience most of the designs posted on sites like Thingiverse were rubbish before they were exported as stl.  The users seem to have little education and experience.  Kind of hard to put lipstick on a pig.

JDMather_0-1656071241333.png

If you zoom in and rotate around this area - you will see an issue I suspect the original designer did not recognize.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 9
Frederick_Law

STL is end use format.  For 3D printing only.  Not for sharing design.

It is a mesh of triangles.

Message 7 of 9
mcgyvr

@mw24396 wrote:

@mcgyvr 

ok so below is the output message I get.  I can cut the surfaces but they do not function as a solid after and I can't close up the file and make it water tight.  

@mw24396  No need for a thicken.. Just use the addin I posted above and choose the "Solid" option instead of surfaces.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 9
mw24396

Thanks guys!  I had no idea STL was so nonsense, because I very rarely ever use it!  so I'm accepting one of the posts telling me how bad it was as an answer.  I've started modeling it myself

Message 9 of 9
JDMather

@mw24396 wrote:

I've started modeling it myself

@mw24396 

The attached partially cleaned up model might be easier to reverse engineer...

JDMather_0-1656107290430.png

Oops. I forgot to verify the Units.

You can probably work around that.

Tools>Document Settings > Units...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report