Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit F/G Member Creats New Part, Why?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
476 Views, 7 Replies

Edit F/G Member Creats New Part, Why?

The Frame Generator is a very handy tool, but hasn't been improved since it was introduced about 10 years ago.

This gripe is something else that needs attention.

Create a members using F/G.

Later you realise that it needs moving, use Edit with Frame Generator and Reposition the member.

Inventor creates a new part, why ? ? ?

I understand that End Treatments may be lost, but a Warning Dialogue box could be displayed.

Even when the Member Type is changed, maybe from Equal Angle to Unequal Angle, Inv and Vault could obtain the file number of the existing. Delete the existing and use the retained file number as the new member's file name.

There are a lot of little gripes about Frame Generator - just search the forums, particularly the Ideas forum - that need addressing.

For example, Frame Generator should be able to create platforms etc. to  EN ISO 14122-#:2016, "Safety of machinery. Permanent means of access to machinery." as much of the equipment we design needs safe access.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

Yes frame generator needs to be redesigned and updated but nothing has really changed or majorly changed over many years.   If you want to suggest improvements for the product use the Inventor idea forum and log your request (so others can vote on it).

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

@Mark.Lancaster I have

As well as adding comments to other requests in the Ideas forum and Voting Up suggestions related to the Frame Generator.

However, my comment related to an existing feature/functionality, which I felt was wrongly implemented.

I also wanted to take the opportunity to raise the matter of multiple entries in the Idea forum, each with multiple votes.

Message 4 of 8
salariua

@Anonymous wrote:

Later you realise that it needs moving, use Edit with Frame Generator and Reposition the member.

Moving should not create a new file on disk.However changing family or standard will create a new file on disk. That's why it's recommended that you merge as many families as you can on a custom library,

Equal+Unequal Angle = single family

Square + Rectangular box section = single family,

so if you do need to change shape it doesn't create a new file on disk.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: salariua

I agree with Adrian, this is what happened, but the real problem I faced while working with F/G is to select a part to edit, you have to hover over the parts in the browser and see which of them is highlighted in the scene and then select edit, why can't be selected on the model and treated as a part? the same as gears or keys?

Message 6 of 8
salariua

@Anonymous wrote:

why can't be selected on the model and treated as a part? the same as gears or keys?

You can... you need to change your filter priority to Part fist either by holding down SHIFT+RightClick or by using the Quick Access Toolbar menu.

Once you change to parts you can select any levels down (like in fg assembly) and then there is RightClick menu Edit with Frame Generator...

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Thanx man I'll try it and see

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Thank you it works, you don't know how it was so difficult, I'll show you my structure to gain an Idea

Regards

Eng.Ebrahim

INNOVATION CENTER 1.jpgINNOVATION CENTER.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report