Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easy way to create the numbering on a protractor.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
8652 Views, 5 Replies

Easy way to create the numbering on a protractor.

Hi,
I need to create an embossed numbering that follows 10 deg increments for the full 360 deg, ie like a protractor. I tried creating and embossing the 0 deg text, the circular patterning it, that worked, and I ended up with 36 x 0 deg embossed, but I couldn`t alter each of the newly created 0 deg to show 10,20,30 etc, it had no option to alter each individual embossing. Is there a way to create an editable text pattern?

Thx
Ian Buckler
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Which version of Inventor are you running Ian?
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

if you version is R2009, you can try geometry text,
create geometry text on a circle patterned arc, see attached example file
for details

hope it's helpful

Mick

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Hi,
I need to create an embossed numbering that follows 10 deg increments for the
full 360 deg, ie like a protractor. I tried creating and embossing the 0 deg
text, the circular patterning it, that worked, and I ended up with 36 x 0 deg
embossed, but I couldn`t alter each of the newly created 0 deg to show
10,20,30 etc, it had no option to alter each individual embossing. Is there a
way to create an editable text pattern? Thx Ian
Buckler
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Hi,
I`m running 2009, I created a circle and individually entered the 36 increments at 10 deg spacings using geometry text, this took approx 20 mins due partly to the fact that I had to start the process from scratch each time I entered the next increment, it forgot text style, justification and the prev angle entered from the previous input, each increment took 5+ actions/keystrokes. What I would expect to be able to do is to enter 1 item of text, then array/circular pattern it to create the 36 increments, and then be able to individually edit each piece of text to suit, ie starting with say 0 pattern it to get 0 0 0 0 0 0 etc and then edit it to create 0 1 2 3 4 5 etc, this it seems is impossible, but is an every day/week occurence as a draughtsman. If 2009 can do it i`d be pleased to be shown how, if not then it`s something that should be included if possible in later realeases as it is an essential detailing tool. I think the sample sent by the chap from autodesk is exactly how I had to do it and which took 20 mins and far too many key strokes. Edited by: IanBuckler on Nov 28, 2008 10:27 AM
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Took a few minutes playing with text spacing to get this
close

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Hi,
I need to create an embossed numbering that follows 10 deg increments for the
full 360 deg, ie like a protractor. I tried creating and embossing the 0 deg
text, the circular patterning it, that worked, and I ended up with 36 x 0 deg
embossed, but I couldn`t alter each of the newly created 0 deg to show
10,20,30 etc, it had no option to alter each individual embossing. Is there a
way to create an editable text pattern? Thx Ian
Buckler
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Thx Ray,
Thats another way round it that I hadn`t thought of, however my numerals need to be exactly central to the degree marking lines and thats impossible using the method you`ve shown. I think there should be a way to correctly array text and then edit it, without having to fiddle about and get something close but not spot on, it`s something we as draughtsman do on a regular basis, this system is used by draughtsman and I ask, do Autodesk actually have working draughtsman on their development team?, it`s easily achieved in Autocad why isn`t it in Inventor ?.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report