Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic Simulation: placed part is grounded when it should be free to move

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
bender.terry
1726 Views, 7 Replies

Dynamic Simulation: placed part is grounded when it should be free to move

I am placing SolidWorks generated parts into an assembly and providing mates, etc. Some parts I don't mate and instead wait to "Insert Joint" within the Dynamic Simulation environment. Anyway, these must move, but they come in under Grounded. See attached screen shot. How do I unground them, like moving to Mobile Groups, etc.? If I right click in Dynamic Sim, or the Assemble environment, Ground is not checked.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
johnsonshiue
in reply to: bender.terry

Hi! Could you share the files here? There should be a logical reason to explaining the behavior.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 8

For image to be of any use - you would need to expand to show the Constraints.

My guess  would be right click Retain DoF.

Message 4 of 8
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: bender.terry

@bender.terry  schrieb:

How do I unground them,

Add any joint.
In the assembly environment all parts have 6 degrees of freedom and we can reduce some/all of it adding constraints.
In the Dynamic Simulation all parts are initially fixed and get their degrees of freedom by adding joints.

cadder

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8

@j.palmeL29YX wrote:

Add any joint.

What if automatically converting assembly constraints to Dynamic Simulation Joints?

Message 6 of 8
bender.terry
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Find attached the SW part as brought into Inventor Pro. Query the part, etc.

I'm new to Inventor and can't find where I can assign DOFs or make un-Grounded in Dynamic Simulation.

Some parts I brought in were not made Grounded. Others, it seems, are Grounded by default like the attached sample. Sorry I can't provide assy; it's proprietary. I did nothing different from importing one part and another into the assy, just used Place as reference part or not.

All I need are steps to make any Grounded part un-Grounded so that the part will move under the influence of gravity, spring force, force, contact, or any combination of these.

When using 2018 a few months ago, I did not run into this problem. I took 2018 down when I installed 2019.

Terry

Message 7 of 8

@TheCADWhisperer  schrieb:

@j.palmeL29YX wrote:

Add any joint.

See the attached video https://autode.sk/2QZSpB8. It is a simple example which shows the principial behavior. I cannot open files which are newer than IV 2015 (so also not yours) , but I think this video shows what I meant. Of course you should add instead of the spatial joint a joint which is useful for you. 

cadder

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 8

@bender.terry wrote:

Find attached the SW part ...

A SolidWorks part file has the extension *.slprt not *.iam

A SolidWorks assembly *.sldasm must include part files *.sldprt

An Inventor assembly *.iam must include part files *.ipt

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report