Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWG's exported from Illustrator show up as blank sheet in Inventor

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
etristram
4143 Views, 4 Replies

DWG's exported from Illustrator show up as blank sheet in Inventor

I've tried as many iterations of exporting and saving I can think of. I'm using Adobe Illustrator CC, where I have a bunch of vector art I want to use for a rendering I'm doing in Inventor.

I try exporting artwork from Illustrator as a DWG to use in Inventor, but regardless of what file I try to export, or what my settings are, every time it just comes up blank in Inventor. I just see a blank drawing sheet. The DWG files that AI is creating are only about 8-10 kb in size.

This aspect of my potential workflow is very important to me. I frequently need to use preexisting logos, type, etc. to provide renderings for proposals. The easiest way for me to do this would be simply to export as a DWG. It seems as if both Adobe and Autodesk understand the need for this function and have attemtped to integrate it, but something is getting lost in translation.

At the bottom of this post is a Screencast of my process.

Please reach out with any troubleshooting or advice you think may help solve this problem.

Thanks,

Edward

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: etristram

Sorry, misunderstood your situation.

Seems like you're on the right track, but unfortunately sometimes these Programs don't work as well as they should.

Message 3 of 5
TheCADWhisperer

In your video you did not click on Options and set to Import before opening.

Also, be aware that there might be an error dialog box open behind Inventor that you have to Alt Tab and dismiss.

Attach your *.dwg file here if you can't figure it out.

Options.png

Frankly, for geometry that simple - I would do from scratch, native in Inventor.

My guess is you are not going to be happy with the Illustrator conversion to dwg.

Message 4 of 5
design

Hi etristam,

Did you manage to find a solution? I'm having the same problem.
I've tried:

- having only one layer named '0'
- making sure my line work has AutoCAD color (100% black) and exporting as TrueColor

- Ungrouping all objects

- Releasing any clipping masks

- Releasing any compound paths

- checking there are no duplicate lines

- exporting as 2004/2005/2006

- resizing the artboard to fit the artwork

I haven't been able to import successfully, all files are still being imported blank!

Message 5 of 5
design
in reply to: design

UPDATE

I realise now that you are using Open to import your file. I am using ACAD function in a part sketch...
Anyway, after a bit more trial and error I managed to import the data.

I think it had to do with some of my splines not being joined correctly; not sure. I changed the background colour to black during import and the geometry was there all of a sudden and imported successfully.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report