Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing balloon alignment

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
NigelHay
3291 Views, 22 Replies

Drawing balloon alignment

In Inventor 2016 AutoDesk have messed with the drawing Item balloon alignment. It worked perfectly before in that I could pick a balloon, select more balloons & R.Click to align vertcally or horizontally. I could i.e. align a group of balloons vertically then horizontally align another set with the top or bottom of the vertical group.

Now, when I select a group of balloons & R.Click, the group jumps to wherever my cursor happens to be & I have to drag the group back into position, using guesswork if I want to align with another balloon.

Or, am I missing something? Is there a command that I am overlooking?

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: NigelHay
Message 3 of 23
NigelHay
in reply to: Anonymous

John, thanks for your reply but I don't see anything in that article to solve my issue. If I am, say, aligning a horizontal set of balloons, how can I select the end balloon from a vertical set to align to without now making that end balloon part of the selection set which is now moving around the drawing with my cursor?

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideastation/align-balloons-to-an-edge/idi-p/5394395

You could post an idea to add the functionality you want.

Message 5 of 23
NigelHay

This idea has now been posted John.

Message 6 of 23
A_Spicer

Why add it to the wishlist - it should't have been removed in this release

Inventor use to do it

Why remove functionallity!!!!

PS - holding down 'ctrl' when placing the balloon evockes the old method.

Thats progress!

Message 7 of 23
NigelHay
in reply to: A_Spicer

I tried holding ctrl but it didn't seem to do anything.

Message 8 of 23
^_^clovis^_^

Hello guys,

Is it possible to have the Ctrl automaticaly activated when placing a balloon?

Thanks

Message 9 of 23
IgorMir

In IV2018 it is exactly the same! Holding down 'Ctrl' key makes no difference. Who the hell did ask to mess around with what was working well in IV2010? It reminds me of a dialog between two characters in one of the James Bond movies: "Has a new version of our software being released? Yes, full of bugs - as requested. So people will have to upgrade indefinitely. Excellent!"

Have a nice day everyone.

Igor.

@NigelHay wrote:

In Inventor 2016 AutoDesk have messed with the drawing Item balloon alignment. It worked perfectly before in that I could pick a balloon, select more balloons & R.Click to align vertcally or horizontally. I could i.e. align a group of balloons vertically then horizontally align another set with the top or bottom of the vertical group.

Now, when I select a group of balloons & R.Click, the group jumps to wherever my cursor happens to be & I have to drag the group back into position, using guesswork if I want to align with another balloon.

Or, am I missing something? Is there a command that I am overlooking?

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 10 of 23
damjan_baraga
in reply to: IgorMir

The aligning still not working in 2019 or I`m doing wrong. This what I get, when try to align. The lines cross each other.

Zajeta slika.JPG

Why can`t be like in Mechanical?

Message 11 of 23
IgorMir
in reply to: damjan_baraga

Because once its ruined in Inventor - it stays ruined.

@damjan_baraga wrote:

The aligning still not working in 2019 or I`m doing wrong. This what I get, when try to align. The lines cross each other.

Why can`t be like in Mechanical?

Message 12 of 23
damjan_baraga

Otherwise aligning working good. Only this crossing should bi eliminated.
So, I'm asking @johnsonshiue not if but when this will happen.

Message 13 of 23

Hi Damjan,

The behavior you showed in the image does not look right. There is definitely room for improvement. But, I guess it may be files specific. Could share the files here or send them to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 14 of 23
IgorMir
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson,

Of course we had discussed that before. The modern problem with the alignment of the item balloons is that there is no option to select the anchor balloon, as it was in IV2010, for example. You select the balloons you want to line up - they do so but jump to some arbitrary location. Now you have to bring them all where you want them to be. Here is a thing. Once vertical (for example) alignment is done and you want to do the horizontal one, using common ballon as an anchor point (corner one, for example) - you cannot do it any more. Well, it can be done, but it takes a lot more efforts now than it was in IV2010, for example. That's a regression in the software, as far as i am concerned.

Cheers,

Igor.

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi Damjan,

The behavior you showed in the image does not look right. There is definitely room for improvement. But, I guess it may be files specific. Could share the files here or send them to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)?

Many thanks!

Message 15 of 23
johnsonshiue

Hi Igor,

Many thanks for bringing back the memory! Sometimes memory is a harsh reality. Anyway, regardless of regression, the behavior is wrong. I have forwarded Damjan's example to the project team for further look.

One perspective I would like to share is that on the forum and during my entire career at Autodesk, we often focus on what is not working. Legitimately so, don't get me wrong. A bug is a bug. Inventor should function correctly as it was intended. But, we tend to forget what is working and what could have gone more wrong. Inventor is a software tool built by people. We make mistakes just like everybody. Sometimes we try our best correcting the mistakes. We learn from the past and hopefully we don't repeat. This is why the team is engaged on the forum and other venues.

These old unfixed defects may have disappointed you. I apologize. If I had a magic wand, I would make them go away but unfortunately I don't have it. I cannot guarantee every issue is fixed in a timely manner. However, I can ensure you that every issue is reviewed by the appropriate team and the necessary actions are taken. You can certainly argue it is not good enough and Inventor users deserve better. I get it. It is something we are trying to improve.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 16 of 23
IgorMir

Thanks, Johnson.

I just wonder if you guys want to expand your team at Autodesk. I can work for you. 

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Igor.

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi Igor,

Many thanks for bringing back the memory! Sometimes memory is a harsh reality. Anyway, regardless of regression, the behavior is wrong. I have forwarded Damjan's example to the project team for further look.

One perspective I would like to share is that on the forum and during my entire career at Autodesk, we often focus on what is not working. Legitimately so, don't get me wrong. A bug is a bug. Inventor should function correctly as it was intended. But, we tend to forget what is working and what could have gone more wrong. Inventor is a software tool built by people. We make mistakes just like everybody. Sometimes we try our best correcting the mistakes. We learn from the past and hopefully we don't repeat. This is why the team is engaged on the forum and other venues.

These old unfixed defects may have disappointed you. I apologize. If I had a magic wand, I would make them go away but unfortunately I don't have it. I cannot guarantee every issue is fixed in a timely manner. However, I can ensure you that every issue is reviewed by the appropriate team and the necessary actions are taken. You can certainly argue it is not good enough and Inventor users deserve better. I get it. It is something we are trying to improve.

Many thanks!

Message 17 of 23
johnsonshiue

Hi Igor,

If you are interested in joining the company, here is the link to our job postings.

https://www.autodesk.com/careers

Please take a look.

Best wishes,

Software Test Engineer
Message 18 of 23

Hi Johnson,

I agree with you. When I read forums of suggestions and wishes, I wonder
you, how you manage to fulfil them. A lot of users give suggestions,
which are useful just for them. OK. They are some useful suggestions,
but they are rear. I know that is a lot of combination, which influence
on working of software and is difficult to test them all. Bugs have been
and will be. Inventor is good program. It has own good and bad things.
In many thing is better then others. I just wish to eliminate mistakes
in present software,which disturbs me. This will be enough for now. If
you do not mind, I would send those things directly to your e-mail.

Message 19 of 23

Hi Damjan,

Many thanks for your kind words! Inventor is not perfect. Nor do we claim it to be perfect. There is always room for improvement. We are so glad that we have engaging users like you and many others. We learn a lot from you guys.

You are more than welcome to contact me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com). If possible, for issues not involving your proprietary data, please post them here. Our enormous user base will benefit from the postings. Many team members and I will take a look.

For issues involving proprietary data, please send them to me directly. Only team members working on the specific issue will access the files. If you have regional security preferences, we can accommodate that too.

Thanks again!

Software Test Engineer
Message 20 of 23
IgorMir

Hi Johnson,

Thanks for the link. I had a look. There is no requirement for Mechanical Engineers at Autodesk. Which is understandable, really.

Cheers,

Igor.

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi Igor,

If you are interested in joining the company, here is the link to our job postings.

https://www.autodesk.com/careers

Please take a look.

Best wishes,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report