Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do companies even use Inventor anymore?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
chris
820 Views, 7 Replies

Do companies even use Inventor anymore?

I've been looking for Inventor work on multiple platforms and it seems that for every 10-15 SolidWorks or Solid Edge jobs I find I see one for Inventor... am I missing something or have companies just been fazing out Autodesk Inventor?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
BDCollett
in reply to: chris

All the people working with Inventor enjoy it so there are no vacancies. 🙂

From the companies I have dealt with lately, they have gone from SW to Inventor.

Message 3 of 8
Gabriel_Watson

Probably not there in Texas. North American design is too expensive, unless the value-added by the end products are worth it. Most design jobs are hiring people abroad now. Here, a designer is expected to automate half of the job and PM the rest as a mini-design leader.
Message 4 of 8
cmooreXBSNR
in reply to: BDCollett

I am not sure where you heard that, but that is not the consensus in this office. If we could leave Inventor behind we would. This program is awful.

Message 5 of 8
mcgyvr

Solidworks has a greater market share from my experience.. And yes I'd guess at 1:10 too Inventor:Solidworks from what I've been exposed to.

There are plenty of companies using Inventor though..

We have both Inv and SW licenses and picked up Inventor due to its lower cost (harness design in SWx is much more expensive but it seemed to be superior to Inventors harness design which so far is likely good enough for us)

From what I've seen both programs equally have their own strengths/weaknesses and neither is really better than the other. I'd say just knowledge/seat time in one vs the other will make or break your experience. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 8
cssmyth64

Coincidentally my current and previous company both use IV, however my current company added SW as well a few months ago and from what I hear, most other companies in the area use SW. We do most of our work in autocad and so when the company needed a 3D software IV was the logical next step. However if we would of to move away from autocad and work exclusively in eihter IV or SW I would suspect it would go to SW as that's what our sister company uses. 

Message 7 of 8
mluterman

Solidworks is the ebay of 3D CAD. If you need to sell your stuff, where do you go?...ebay. We are using Inventor because that is the software-of-choice of one of our biggest customers (otherwise it would've been Solidworks-just because of its widespread coverage in the industry).

Message 8 of 8
BDCollett
in reply to: cmooreXBSNR

@cmooreXBSNR wrote:

I am not sure where you heard that, but that is not the consensus in this office. If we could leave Inventor behind we would. This program is awful.

My first sentence was obviously tongue in cheek, however I do deal with companies quite often that have completely moved from "hardly works" as they call it or other packages. This isn't always the user's choice obviously.

It's software, if you think they all work perfectly, and one is best at doing everything I would say you have a strong bias.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report