Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensions Help

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
602 Views, 10 Replies

Dimensions Help

I am a freshman in high school and I am having a hard time dimensioning this piece. Can anyone help me?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
mdavis22569
in reply to: Anonymous

attach what you have ..... 

probably won't find someone to do it all for you ..but we'll help if you're having a problem.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
mflayler

Are you referring to Sketch Dimensioning or creating a drawing for detail and fabrication?

Just looking at your sketch...you need to fully constrain everything.  Is this the issue you need help with?

2016-04-27_20-52-12.png

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: mdavis22569

I just need help on the circular patterns. It doesn't need to be perfect but every time I tried to dimension them it got really messy.

Message 5 of 11
mflayler

Is it because the geomety in your model is also really messy?  I'm no scooter wheel designer, but this looks off.  Also as a point of order you need to fully constrain your sketchs or this will not be the last time you have trouble dimensioning.  Not having fully constrained and defined sketches is like building a house of cards on a plate of Jello.

2016-04-27_20-59-43.png

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 6 of 11
mdavis22569

pattern.PNG

another suggestion ...don't pattern the sketch .... big no no ...    Pattern the feature after you're done with it.    Shouldn't the first slot also be at the 12 o'clock position?     

The reason you don't want to use pattern sketch is .. you can't edit it as easily as a general sketch ..adjust/fix it then pattern a lot more work

You also won't need any of those points either ....

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
mflayler
in reply to: mdavis22569

Weeeellllll, you can Edit an Associative Sketch Pattern, but still, don't use it.  Too many reasons to go into for right now.  Like Mike said, make one slot and one half moon shape and then pattern that.  Same goes for your first complicated sketch, you don't have to put so much detail in every sketch.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: mflayler

Ok so my teacher never really taught our class how to dimension so does this look at least okay?

Message 9 of 11
mflayler

No, it doesn't.  There is nowhere near enough information for someone to reproduce this part.

What is the purpose of this task, is it for a school project, hobby, other?  If it is for a school project your teacher needs to take the time to teach you proper dimensioning or be fully aware that it is not yet in your skill set.

Just a few things off the top of my head... How do I locate those 5 slots around the inner hub?

Whats the Diameter of the half moon shaped profiles?

How am I supposed to machine to the .60 distance in that shape?

Also, tell your teacher they should not Link in images to the Titleblock they should embed them or redraw them.

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: mflayler

It is for a school project so it's not actually being reproduced. When I asked him about this he just told me to make section and detail views but I don't know any dimensioning guidelines or anything because we never actually learned how to dimension.

Message 11 of 11
mflayler

Then I would say its good enough for now due to the fact you were not given the tools to complete a full dimensioning of this part.  He probably just wants you to try it out and then you will all talk about it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report