Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension Type automatically Linear diameter not Parallel

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
daniel.kitchener
488 Views, 7 Replies

Dimension Type automatically Linear diameter not Parallel

Hi All,

I have a frustrating issue where when I select two independent lines in a drawing view to dimension, it automatically defaults to a "Linear Diameter" dimension type (which I rarely use anyway) rather than the normal "Parallel" type. I then have to right click before placing the dimension and change the dim type to parallel. If I forget I have to delete the dim and start again.

I have learnt if I select a point for one of the selections it doesn't have the issue, but I don't find that intuitive to do.

I cant be sure but I don't think I had this issue when I started using inventor. I'm fairly new to inventor so perhaps I'm missing something but it definitely slows down my workflow at the moment.

Is this an issue others are having? I've attached an image of what a drawing ends up looking like if I dimension by selecting two lines without changing to Parallel.

I'm using 2022.3.2 if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Does that happen for every drawing, even from the Default templates?

Message 3 of 8

Something funny with your part or drawing style.

Please attach both files.

Message 4 of 8

Hi! Right-click on the drawing view -> General Dimension Type -> set it to Projected.

Does it work better now? Please share the files here. Forum experts can help take a look.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the slow response, I've been on holiday.

In order:

@Gabriel_Watson Yes and Yes

@Frederick_Law I've attached an example part and drawing file, interestingly it doesnt currently happen on part sketches, but I think it has done previously

@johnsonshiue Nice idea but no joy, I was already on Projected, and switching to true and back doesn't help

Do you need the template files as well?

Message 6 of 8
blandb
in reply to: daniel.kitchener

I don't get the behavior....please see attached...

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 7 of 8

Hi Daniel,

This is a very interesting issue. I cannot reproduce the behavior on my machine. But, the dimensions in the drawing  you attached does seem like the Linear Diameter becomes the default type. I cannot explain it. Try resetting your Inventor back to install default (Inventor Reset Utility -> 2022).

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 8

I've found the issue!

Using the reset utility fixed the issue, but when I imported my settings back in the issue reoccurred. From this I found it was originating from the Application Options.

After scouring the Application options, I found there is a 'Dimension Type Preferences' setting within the Drawing tab.

Changing this from 'Linear Diametric' to 'Linear Dimension' has fixed the issue.

See the attached image.

Thanks for the help folks,

Dan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report