Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diameter symbol in section dimensions missing

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
checkcheck_master
1234 Views, 6 Replies

Diameter symbol in section dimensions missing

Hi there,

See picture, in a 'normal' view diametric dimensions automatically get the diameter symbol (Ø). I experience, when in a section view, they appear without. 

Is this normal behaviour or did I miss something?

2021-04-19_214119.png

Greetings!

Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
SBix26
in reply to: checkcheck_master

You didn't miss anything. 

It's pretty simple to edit the dimension and add the diameter symbol from the text editor.  Even simpler to turn on hidden lines for that view, add the needed diameter dimensions, then turn the hidden lines back off.  Basically, you need to be able to select an actual diameter edge in order to get an automatic diameter symbol with it.

I haven't looked, but I'll bet there are several Inventor Ideas posts requesting that Inventor become smart enough to recognize when drawing view features are diameters, even when they're not showing the whole edge.  If you find some, post links here so others can vote it up.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2022 | Windows 10 Home 2004
LinkedIn

Message 3 of 7

Hi! In terms of section view, only the section cutting across the center axis will lead to the correct measurement. To get the diameter symbol, select the horizontal cutting edges.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 7
checkcheck_master
in reply to: SBix26

Thanks Sam for your comment and explanation, good to know that, regarding this, I didn't miss anything.

More or less related to this 'How to Draw' subject, what about the function 'Retrieve Model Annotations'?

I experience that the placement en more specific the Extension-line Attachment, needs a lot of attention/correction where I am inclined to assume that applying measures as usual will often give results faster than using this function?

I would like to hear the opinion of more experienced Inventor users on this point to make sure I don't miss any options / functions.

Greetings!

Message 5 of 7

Hi John, thanks you for your comment.
Judging from your message, it looks like I'm missing something.
About the horizontal cutting edges, I assume you mean to pick the cutting planes parallel to the centerline? In both IV2019 and IV2020 I am unable to obtain the diameter sign as described above based on the previously shared picture. Do I have to use a certain key combination or hover over something that activates certain functionality?

Please let me know, thanks in advance.

Greetings!

Message 6 of 7

Hi! The ability to have linear diameter dimension was added in 2021. Prior to 2020, this workflow was not available.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 7

Great John, thanks for the clarification.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report