Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diamater of threaded holes,counterbore holes and bolts

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
mateusz_sass
523 Views, 7 Replies

Diamater of threaded holes,counterbore holes and bolts

Hello Guys,

I am wondering if there is any possibility to check the propper thread and hole diameter in Autodesk Inventor Professional 2023?

For exmaple. I have 2 separate elements. I made M5 thread inside the first one and I continue to design the rest. Then I am going to the second one and by mistake I made M4 counterbore holes.

I am going to place the bolts from CC and it will put M4 screw inside the M5 thread with joy...

How to avoid it? Or how to easily check dimensions?  

Is it possible to place some iLogic rules which will be able to control the diameters of screws, holes and threads?

Thank You in advance

Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Edit the faulty Hole feature and set it to M5 as well and fix the counterbore and you should be ready to go, or? 🙂

EdvinTailwind_0-1685707326392.png

Message 3 of 8

Oh Thank You. Actually I know how to fix it on model. Maybe I did not precise the problem enough.

I am wondering how to avoid such situation when I am working with huge assemblies. The biggest issue is when I sent the documentation to the workshop, and for example it is going about huge, hardened,expensive element. We have defined at least 3 dimensions. Thread diameter, bolt diameter and hole/counterbore hole diameter. Can we use this data to control "collissions" or "wrong connections"? I mean we should know immidiatelly when bolt will not fit to hole or thread. 

How to prevent such mistakes? Does Inventor have any tools to prevent it?

Message 4 of 8
swalton
in reply to: mateusz_sass

The Analyze Interference tool in the Assembly environment will show thread mismatches.

See: https://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2023/ENU/?guid=GUID-80DED0A6-AC65-4C7C-AD85-0144EE6DAB5B

I normally run that tool throughout the design process, just to make sure I don't inadvertently make interferences between parts.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 5 of 8

You could make a Hole Preset that you load:

EdvinTailwind_1-1685709762099.png

Another way is to make the hole through both parts directly in the assembly, which definitely will prevent mismatching holes. However, the hole will not be available for annotation in the part drawing.

Message 6 of 8
mateusz_sass

This is true, but only in case when we have interference between elements 🙂

mateuszsass_0-1685709743459.png

For Example. Bottom plate with counterbore hole for M5 with hex socket. Upper element with tapped M6. I can place M5 bolt by mistake easily. There is no interference.

Am I right, or I just don't understand it?

Message 7 of 8
mateusz_sass
in reply to: swalton

Ok, I see. It is possible to check matching, but it is so time consuming when You have lot of elements. Thought it will be possible to do it automatically.

Message 8 of 8
swalton

The tool should only flag problems in the design.  Again, it is something I'll run frequently.  That way I can fix a small list of problems before it becomes a long one.

You might look at the Ignore option to trim minor interferences from the report.  

Our practice is to run this tool before releasing an assembly for fabrication.  

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report