Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Derived Part - Cannot Turn Off Base Component Visibility

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
iamerm
2649 Views, 8 Replies

Derived Part - Cannot Turn Off Base Component Visibility

I have a derived part that always displays the visibility of the base component.  Toggling "Visibility" on & off in the Model browser has no effect.  Interestingly, toggling "Translucent" in the Model browser does have an effect (changing base component from translucent to solid).  Has anyone seen this happen?  It's particularly frustrating when the part is placed into an assembly.  The base component remains visible in every instance in the assembly (so you can imagine what an array of this part looks like).  Please see screenshot below.

One other point: you may also notice that the Center of Gravity is displayed & won't turn off.  Could this be related to the issue described here?:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/turn-off-center-of-gravity-problem/td-p/6873119

I am using Autodesk Inventor Professional, Build: 256, Release: 2017.4.3

DerivedPartBaseComponentVisibility.JPG

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
johnsonshiue
in reply to: iamerm

Hi! This sounds like a file-specific scene corruption to me. Could you attach the files here or send them to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)? I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 9
kelly.young

@iamerm just a thought, can you expand the Solid Bodies and Surface Bodies from the browser tree and turn off the visibility from there?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 4 of 9
johnsonshiue
in reply to: kelly.young

Hi Eric,

This is unfortunately a corruption case. For some reason, the Derive node carries this extra ghost surface body. The user has no control over it. It is always there. The only way to turn it off is to go to View -> Object Visibility -> uncheck Construction Surface. This will hide all surface bodies within the part.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 9
iamerm
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiuewrote:

Hi Eric,

This is unfortunately a corruption case. For some reason, the Derive node carries this extra ghost surface body. The user has no control over it. It is always there. The only way to turn it off is to go to View -> Object Visibility -> uncheck Construction Surface. This will hide all surface bodies within the part.

Many thanks!

I really appreciate the input, but I don't know who marked this as a "solution" or why they did so.  I wouldn't consider this a solution for several reasons:

1) It's a workaround.

2) Although turning off the Construction Surface visibility works at the part level, it doesn't seem to carry over to the assembly level.  That means the same process would have to be followed in each & every assembly this part is included in (tedious!)

3) The COG still won't turn off.

4) What exactly is "corruption" & how/why does it randomly occur?

Again, I'm thankful to have received a response, but I wouldn't consider the problem to be solved.  It seems that the one who originally posted the question would be in the best position to determine whether or not a reply should be considered a solution.

Message 6 of 9
kelly.young

Hello @iamerm I unmarked the post as solved for you.

This seemed to be a corruption with a given workaround without any further follow up to questions asked so it was marked as solved for other users to benefit.

I will check with the development team to see if this has been addressed in any recent updates or future releases.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 7 of 9
kelly.young

@iamerm If you can recreate the corruption that would be helpful in finding a cause.

I've never been able to reproduce that issue so not sure what we can do with the corrupted file, when it happens randomly its difficult to narrow down.

If you can document further that would be helpful or Contact Support to investigate the data set more thoroughly.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

I know this is an older topic, but I was having this same issue (it was driving me crazy), and ended up finding a solution by chance.

FYI - I'm on Inventor Professional 2019, so YMMV depending on version.

In the assembly where the derived surfaces are showing up and can't be hidden, hold shift and right click, then select "Feature Priority" so you're selecting the features when highlighting something. This (in my case) allowed me to select just the surfaces that wouldn't hide, then hide them.

Another tip - I was able to select multiple surfaces at once, and then use the visibility shortcut (Alt-V) to hide them all at once.

Still seems like a bug to me (they surfaces shouldn't have been shown in the first place), but hopefully this works for you and anyone else having the problem.

Message 9 of 9
niki

Just had the exact same happening here in my Inventor Professionel 2021.2
I solved it by making a "Save Copy As" and everything went back to normal in the new part.

Best regards

Niki

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report