Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dependent Model States

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
andrewiv
136 Views, 1 Reply

Dependent Model States

First let me be clear, this is not talking about derived parts.  Let me explain the situation.  I would like the ability to suppress certain features in a sheet metal component that get added after the part is burned (drilled holes, machining operations, etc.).  This can be accomplished fairly easily with model states, but when I want to also have different configurations with different part numbers it requires some messing around.  If a change is made to one of the part numbers, the change has to be done in both the burned model state and the finished model state. 

What I am proposing is we have the ability to create a model state that is dependent (derived) from an existing model state.  Any changes to the parent model state would automatically get applied to the child model state, but you can choose to override features, parameters, etc. in the child model state.  iProperties would be locked in the child so they would always be the same between the child and parent.  For anyone that used the other main 3D modeling software, this would behave the same as derived configurations.

Sorry, I don't know how this ended up on the discussion forum.  I thought I was putting it on the idea station.  https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/dependent-model-states/idi-p/12835370 

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Tags (1)
Labels (2)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
johnsonshiue
in reply to: andrewiv

Hi Andrew,

Such concept is similar to the Substitute Model State. Basically, the Substitute is a dependent of a Model State. But currently Substitute is only supported in an assembly, not in a part.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report