Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom ipart part number

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
yortster
405 Views, 3 Replies

Custom ipart part number

I would like to make iparts of our structural steel and tubing, such as squares, rectangles, flats and angles. The only variable would be the lengths of these parts. Ideally I would like to place an ipart in an assembly, type in the length and the ipart would create a part number using the material number with the length as the extension. Such as A1023-52, where A1023 is the raw material and 52 is the length. The part would then be unique and placed in our library. I have tried to use concatenate formulas in a spreadsheet to achive this with no luck.
In my opinion, this is a very easy concept so I don't understand why this can't be done unless I'm missing something here. Any help would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: yortster

Something like this?

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified Expert.
260-399-6615
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr.
AIP 11SP3, AIP 2008 SP2, PcCillin AV
HP zv5000 AMD64 ( modified)
Geforce Go 440, Driver: .8185, 2GB RAM
XP Pro SP2, Windows XP Silver Theme
http://teknigroup.com
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Keep i mind that my example is just about setting the iPart variable Part
Number with custom input. It does not solve your issue. Hopefully someone
else can take it from here...

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified Expert.
260-399-6615
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr.
AIP 11SP3, AIP 2008 SP2, PcCillin AV
HP zv5000 AMD64 ( modified)
Geforce Go 440, Driver: .8185, 2GB RAM
XP Pro SP2, Windows XP Silver Theme
http://teknigroup.com
Message 4 of 4
harco

I seem to remember that ipart children were generated with the part number the same as the saved filename.
That was probably Inv9 and before but now they take the default name of the row in the ipart table.
The part number must then be changed to the filename or what ever you wish.
We have been making our parts as you have described since Inv 8.
Since Inventor 10, I think, our iparts have not been easy to modify.
If we add another row to the ipart factory table and save it then all our ipart children need to be updated, that is all our historical parts 5000-10000, when they are updated the part number we have typed in - is wiped out and replaced with the default part number. The same happens every year at upgrade time.
We have developed a semi automatic way to correct the parts but it is still time consuming.
For this reason we do not add any more rows but just make normal parts for sizes not listed.
The content centre can do exactly what you and we want which is why we will be changing to CC when we can.
But then who knows what problems that might cause in the future.

If you want to stick with iparts, one way to do it is to create a row for every length you may want i.e 10000 rows for 10m length of 1mm increments. I think the fx function for the part number in the bill of materials also gets wiped out if you change the length of the part.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report