Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Frame Notch

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Thomas
623 Views, 3 Replies

Custom Frame Notch

Hi All,

I have created 2 custom frame profiles and I am trying to get the custom notching to work.  No matter what I do it will not notch the profile.

I have attached 2 screenshots.  The NotchProfile is how I have it set up, and the Not_Notching is the result i'm getting.  The part with the red X should be getting removed, but it is not.

I've tried re-publishing the parts from scratch and anything else I can think of.  

Any tips/tricks?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Please share the example here. It may be a bug or a limitation. Without the files, it is impossible to tell where the problem is.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 4
Thomas
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thank you for the reply.  I have made a simple set up for testing and attached the files.

The extra areas outside of the extrusion don't seem to want to be notched.

As a side note, is there a way to set the default Display Name and File Name when using the frame generator?

Thanks for the help.

Message 4 of 4
jan_priban
in reply to: Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I see. You profile does not notch "square". In general custom notch profile works, I tried my part with hollow sections

MyHollowProfile.jpg

Hollow section is not the issue. Not sure, what happens with your profiles, I tried to authorize it (G_TEST.ipt) but Notch without square you want to cut/notch. So in your profile an issue may be arc tangent to line - not sure. I wanted to suggest you make profile more simple, "suppress" fillets (arc tangent to line) but finally I discovered following trick you could use

1. Let your profile as it is

2. Draw bounding profile around your profile, offset defined by a user parameter (variable) e.g. NotchOffset = 0.1 in

NotchOffsetSketch.jpg

3. Authorize IPT for the Structure Shape category, select "bounding" notch profile

NotchOffset.jpg

4. Once authorized, change the parameter NotchOffset = 0 in to make notch profile same size as original profile

5. Publish profile and use

6. Notch will be as you want

7. IPT with this bounding box profile attached

NotchOffsetWorks.jpg

Regards

Jan Priban

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report