Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cursor and marking menu are far appart

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
Anonymous
2584 Views, 23 Replies

Cursor and marking menu are far appart

When I try to access the RMB marking menu, the menu does not appear below the cursor but way off. This problem started with version 2020, before that I had never any problems. I am running Inventor 2019 as well on the same machine and the menu works fine there. I've got the latest software and drivers. This problem occurs in every environment (Part, Assembly, Sketch, Drawing). Strange thing is, the classic context menu works fine.

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous 

First have you updated to Inventor 2020.1 and 2020.1.1?   Also make sure your video driver is up to date and don't rely on Windows telling you it is

If the above doesn't resolve the issue you may want to run the inventor reset utility from the Windows start menu/Autodesk/.Inventor 2020 section but before you do that you need to review this https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-use-Inventor-Reset-Utility-to-reset-the-local-environment-for-a-Windows-User-Account-Inventor.html and make sure to backup before performing the reset.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Yes, all the latest updates are installed. Graphics driver is installed manually. Reset and even re-installing does not help.

Message 4 of 24
johnsonshiue

Hi Andrew,

Please share your screen resolution and DPI setting. Do you use two monitors?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

My screen resolution is 3840 x 2160, scaling 150%

I use one monitor only.

Tried different settings with no success.

Inventor 2019 works perfectly but 2020 does not.

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous

Has nobody a suggestion?

Message 7 of 24
johnsonshiue

Hi Andrew,

Did you try using Inventor Reset Utility like Mark suggested (All Programs -> Autodesk -> Inventor 2020 -> Tools -> Inventor Reset Utility)? It will help reset all settings back to install default.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Yes, I did that (more than once). I even uninstalled and reinstalled, also more than once. No matter what I try, the result is always the same. I am totally at a loss here, any help highly appreciated.

Message 9 of 24
JarFu

@Anonymous did you use dual monitors when run Inventor?

There are two known issues related dual monitors:

1. Right click on Inventor in second monitor but Marking Menu may show the primary monitor wrongly when use different DPI settings for two displayers

2. Marking menu is always leave in the primary monitor if connect second monitor after run Inventor to open files, this happens even with same DPI settings for two displayers

Jar Fu
SW Engineer
Inventor QA
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 10 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: JarFu

Sorry, I have only a single monitor.

Message 11 of 24
HelmesHe

@Anonymous , does this also exist when scaling is other than 150%, such as 100%? Which version of Windows 10 do you have? You could find it with Win+R and typing "winver".

One solution you could try is to switch "Let Windows try to fix apps so they're not blurry" in "Advanced scaling settings".

Another is to right click "Inventor.exe" in the bin folder and open "Properties". Then click "Change high DPI settings" in "Compatibility" tab and try different settings.

Helmes He

Senior Software Engineer
Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: HelmesHe

I am using the latest version of Windows 1909 (OS Built 18363.535)

"Let Windows try to fix apps" is already set.

When I use a scaling of 100%, everything is fine but the menu size is obviously too small. Changing the scaling back to 150%, the problem resumes.

If I change the properties of "Change high DPI settings" - Scaling override performed by "System" the menu appears were it is supposed to be but now the text and icons in the application are quite fuzzy, hard on the eyes, which is not acceptable.

Message 13 of 24
nzlanderURY89

I've got the same issue with Inventor 2021. Is there no better workaround than changing the DPI scaling behavior? It looks like that Inventor is not recognizing the screen resolution. Maybe we can tweak the registry?
Message 14 of 24
HelmesHe
in reply to: nzlanderURY89

I guess this is a Qt issue of supporting high DPI. Could you please help try setting either or both of the following two environment variables?

1. "QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR" as 0 or 1, which enables/disables automatic scaling.
  2. "QT_SCALE_FACTOR" as 1 or other values, which defines a scale factor for Qt windows.

Helmes He

Senior Software Engineer
Message 15 of 24
nzlanderURY89

You just made my day! That was exactly what caused the problem. Thank you very much!
Message 16 of 24
HelmesHe

@nzlanderURY89, glad to know it works. Could you please tell us which environment variable you tried setting with which value? So in the future release, we could fix it without having to set the environment variables.

Helmes He

Senior Software Engineer
Message 17 of 24
nzlanderURY89

Hi HelmesHe,
I've set QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR to 0
Thanks again for your help.
Message 18 of 24
HelmesHe

Thanks for sharing the information. That's helpful.

Helmes He

Senior Software Engineer
Message 19 of 24
Landrie4586

How exactly do you change those variables? I'm having this issue as well and reinstalling it several times has done nothing.

Message 20 of 24
SBix26
in reply to: Landrie4586

Assuming you're using Windows 10, in Windows Settings, search for Advanced System Settings.  In the resulting System Properties dialog, click on Environment Variables...; in the System variables section, click New and fill in the name and value of the variable you're creating.  Note that you must have Administrator privileges on your system in order to set system environment variables.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2021.2.1 | Windows 10 Home 2004
LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report