Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crash creating 2d contact joint

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
etfrench
282 Views, 6 Replies

Crash creating 2d contact joint

Inventor is crashing while attempting to create the 2d contact joint between the bbInside part and the Follower_Inner_250 part.

ETFrench

EESignature

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
johnsonshiue
in reply to: etfrench

Hi Ed,

Indeed, I am able to reproduce the crash. Somehow, the Dynamic Sim 2D Contact Joint does not like the close spline loop. I cannot explain it. But, I find a simple workaround to avoid the crash though. I create a workplane passing the seam edge and then split the faces (see attached part). If you replace the part in the assembly with the attached part, it should work better. Please try it out and see if it works for you.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 7
etfrench
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Unfortunately, that didn't work too well.  The ellipse was malformed.  It was originally created in Fusion 360 as an ellipse, then exported as dxf (Attached as bBoxInside_10.dxf). 

DxfToInventorBug_002.jpg

As you can see the right side of the middle and inner ellipses don't match the right side. The innermost profile is more or less accurate (It's the center of a bone).

I have managed to recreate the ellipses as splines using a 2D cad program (Attached here as BBoxInside_003d.dxf).  The Inventor part (Attached as Part17.ipt) ellipses appear to be correctly formed, but can't be extruded.

This project is rapidly going downhill Smiley Sad

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! Did you try using the part I attached and see if you still reproduce the crash? Regarding the ellipse, couldn't you use Ellipse tool in Inventor to create it?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 7
etfrench
in reply to: johnsonshiue

The crash did not occur with your modification.  Ellipses aren't allowed in 2d contact joints, so it would be pointless to try to use one (assuming the error messages saying that are correct).  I did replicate the ellipses in Inventor with splines, however 2d contact joint doesn't seem to like those either

Selection:

DxfToInventorBug_003.jpg

Resulting error:

DxfToInventorBug_003b.jpg

Part file is attached.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
etfrench

In the previous failure, the model was created with splines in one quadrant, then those were mirrored to create the full model.

In this failure, the splines were created around the full 360 degrees.  Even though splines were used, the 2d contact joint is interpreting those as ellipses, which of course fails:

DxfToInventorBug_003c.jpg

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
etfrench

This morning, the full ellipse created with a single spline worked for the 2d contact joint. 

This only leaves the dxf ellipse offset and the dxf spline import bugs as unresolved.

ETFrench

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report